Lolo Pass Rd?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
pdxgene

Lolo Pass Rd?

Post by pdxgene » July 20th, 2008, 6:58 am

Anyone been over this way yet?
The forest service website had said they were working on the road and I wondered if that meant improving it or just fixing something from the winter damage? I usually end up just going the long way around thru Hood River but it sure would be nice if Lolo Pass was better for cars. I've never understood why that road isn't paved, but the smaller forest service roads that branch out from it are.

kwpapke

Re: Lolo Pass Rd?

Post by kwpapke » July 20th, 2008, 5:17 pm

pdxgene wrote:Anyone been over this way yet?
I only went as far as the PCT trailhead on Saturday. The paved section was even a little rough with painted markings where it looks like they plan some fixing up. Didn't attempt the gravel section.

--Kurt
My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/KurtPapke?gvnc=1

wraithevolution

Post by wraithevolution » July 21st, 2008, 7:21 am

I drove the whole thing this weekend, seems to be the same as it always is. Both ends are paved, the middle isn't. The paved south end is always a bit torn up. Drive a mild speed and you can drive around everything. The middle unpaved section is really just a gravel road. And the north paved end is great, no problems. I didn't see any work happening anywhere and it looked like there was one section that had been repaired earlier this year. Drive safe!
A man is defined by his actions in life and by the well being of those directly effected by these actions.

backcountryhunter

Post by backcountryhunter » July 21st, 2008, 9:07 am

I drove the whole thing to and from Lost Lake.

In the gravel section I passed a Toyota Prius and met head on with an 73 Caddy low rider. (believe it or not)

It wasn't bad watch for the holes in the paved section and there are washboards in the gravel section.

Take your time and drive slow on the curves. I almost hit some idiot in a Tundra yesterday who must have been doing 40 in the gravel.