Goat Rocks Wilderness Backpacking Trail

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
tambli

Goat Rocks Wilderness Backpacking Trail

Post by tambli » July 16th, 2008, 2:35 pm

Hello,

Does anybody have some suggestons for an easy to moderate backpackable trail in the Goat Rocks Wilderness Area? I'd like to hike in 5-7 miles or so to camp and then just do some day hikes from there. Something near a creek or lake is preferable but not neccessary. This is my first backpacking trip and I'm really excited!

Thanks!

Tami

BCJ

Re: Goat Rocks Wilderness Backpacking Trail

Post by BCJ » July 16th, 2008, 3:38 pm

Hiking up the Snowgrass Flats trail to Goat Lake and returning via the Goat Ridge trail is a great hike with spectacular scenery. A dayhike from Goat Lake to Hawkeye Point gives some amazing views.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 16th, 2008, 3:42 pm

The Snowgrass Flats area might be good (you can't camp in the flats but there are lots of areas nearby). You can take the PCT north to Old Snowy or south to Cispus Pass and you can hike to Goat Lake. I strongly suspect, though, that this area isn't melted out yet. I've been watching for trip reports both here and on nwhikers.net and haven't seen any. This year, you need to check snow conditions before making a final decision on where to go.

Spoonie_B

Post by Spoonie_B » July 17th, 2008, 8:05 pm

I'm planning a backpack there myself, and snow is indeed an issue. The rangers told me yesterday that not all the trailheads are even open yet (though I think Walput Lake is), and that there is still snow at 4500 feet or so and a whole lot of snow up on the ridges at 6000 and 7000+. I'm planning my trip to begin 8/8 and I'm just hoping the sun will stay out and do it's thing. But no way yet to know if I'll be able to do my trip.

I agree that Snowgrass Flats area would be the best place to set up camp and base day hikes from. It's centrally located amidst lots of delicious looking ridge walks and basin trails. Packwood and Walput Lakes have camping, but fewer options for varied exploring over a number of days.

I've never been, and having seen pictures, I can't wait! When are you trying to be there?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 17th, 2008, 8:36 pm

See http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Loop_Hike

Area between Snowgrass Flat and Goat Lake is nice to camp. I was up there August 1, 2007 and the snow had recently melted. Goat Lake melted off the day I was there. Snow is late melting this year so maybe several weeks later would be good.

Hike up to the PCT and Old Snowy as a day hike from there. I've been up there a number of times and I've always been thwarted getting up to Old Snowy - too much snow or bad weather or something.