3-4 Day Backpacking Recommendation

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Virginia99

3-4 Day Backpacking Recommendation

Post by Virginia99 » July 15th, 2008, 1:14 pm

Hello,
Its that time of year again and this East Coast transplant is looking for a 3-4 day hike for next week, probably Wednesday-Saturday. Last year, the Eagle Creek/Wahtum Lake/Benson Plateau was recommended and did not disappoint, so I am turning to you guys again. Considering the record snow-pack, I am not sure what trails are open. Reading online, these loops looked interesting: Bull of the Woods, Mount Jefferson Wilderness, Three Sisters Loop, or perhaps a Wallowa River Loop, but the drive is pretty far for a solo backpack. My requirements are that the distance be between 20-40 miles, the views scenic, and the trail passable without snowshoes. Peak bagging along the way that does not require protection or extreme exposures is a plus. I am willing to travel up to a few hours from Portland, although closer is always better. Thanks in advance and happy trails. BTW, I am planning on going on the Elk-King's Mountain traverse in the coastal range on Thursday, any word on recent trail conditions?

Paul

PS The original plan was to climb Mt Adams, but due to the forest fire, I am not betting on that one.

BCJ

Re: 3-4 Day Backpacking Recommendation

Post by BCJ » July 15th, 2008, 2:38 pm

The Elk-Kings Mountain traverse is in fine condition (as fine as it can be for trails that steep). I'm going up Kings this evening to watch the sunset.

ngoering

Post by ngoering » July 16th, 2008, 1:54 pm

Goat Rocks is my favorite for a medium length backpack. There are lots of route options and loop opportunities. I did a Wednesday - Saturday last year in the last week of July and had great wildflowers. There's probably more snow this year, but it should be passable. It's very popular on weekends, especially around Snowgrass Flats, but mid-week we had our choice of campsites. Old Snowy is an easy half day non-technical peak with great views.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 16th, 2008, 3:55 pm

Check trail conditions before committing to a specific trip. Virginia, the locations you mentioned are probably all still snowed in. We just had a report that the Three Sisters is still snowed in above 5,000 ft. Bull of the Woods, with its heavy timber, is undoubtedly also late melting, and the trails there haven't been maintained for several years (i.e., lots of crawling over enormous logs). I'm not sure about the Mt. Jefferson wilderness. A lot of that was burned in recent years so it may be melted out sooner. But in most instances you need to plan to stay below 5,000 ft. The Wallowas or the Blue Mountains might actually be a better choice. The trip you took last year (Eagle Cr.-Wahtum Lake) has just barely opened up!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 17th, 2008, 9:01 pm

A lot of snow on Three Sisters and Jefferson Wilderness areas. And Goat Rocks.

Someone just did Herman Creek, Wahtum Lake, Eagle Creek but there was a lot of snow on Herman Creek. You could go up Herman Creek to Wahtum Lake and then down Gorton Creek Trail.

Youd could do something on Mount Hood like Cairn Basin or Yocum Ridge or Paradise Park but there would be a lot of snow higher up. It's patchy so you could probably find clear places to camp.

Virginia99

Post by Virginia99 » July 18th, 2008, 9:17 am

Thanks for all the advice. Bull of the Woods is still inaccessible due to washout of Forest Road 63 and the alternate route still being snowed in. It looks like the only two options for snow-free hiking are the Gorge or to drive 6 hours to the Blue Mtns or Wallowas. I am pretty bummed out. I did the Gorge last summer and also a bunch of snow-shoeing this winter, so I would rather go somewhere else, but don't want to drive 6 hours to get to Eastern Oregon. Any other ideas? I revise my previous criteria. I don't mind snow-camping, and have experience in wilderness navigation, so trail-finding isn't a big concern. I would like to avoid having to carry snowshoes however. I enjoyed all the snow this winter and the glissading down Mt St Helens, but now I am bummed that there are no "summer" backpacking trips opened up. I have to travel out of the country next month, so next week is my only real window until September.

Thanks again.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 18th, 2008, 11:31 am

I'm planning a loop in this area (http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... ?f=8&t=275) late next week. At least it's only 5 hours' drive instead of 6. In the same wilderness area, the Joaquin Miller Trail should be good, assuming there are still some snowbanks left to melt for water. You can do a loop with the Joaquin Miller (ridgetop) and Canyon Creek trails.

Here is another report from the Blue Mts: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... ?f=8&t=362.

Other wilderness areas in the Blues include the Mill Creek and Black Canyon Wildernesses. These are closer to the Bend/Prineville area than the ones near John Day.

If you don't mind driving quite a way up into WA, many areas on the east side of the Cascades, those well to the east of the crest, such as the Teanaway Valley above Cle Elum, have pretty well melted out. So have the Chelan Summit Trail and the Pasayten Wilderness The long, low valleys (such as the Hoh) in Olympic National Park are OK, as is the Olympic coast. The Buckhorn/Marmot Pass/Tubal Cain Mine trails in the Buckhorn Wilderness in the Olympic NF (on the "rainshadow" side) have melted out. There are quite a few trip reports on nwhikers.net.

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » July 18th, 2008, 1:15 pm

You can still climb the N Ridge of Adams.....awesome route!
PCT class of 2012

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 18th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Virginia99 wrote: I don't mind snow-camping, and have experience in wilderness navigation, so trail-finding isn't a big concern.
Thanks again.
If you can navigate where the trail is under the snow, then all the Mount Hood hikes should be open, for example http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Park_Hike, http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Spur_Hike, or http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... Ridge_Hike.

Somebody reported that snow levels at higher elevations are more normal so you should be able to find plenty of campsites without snow.

Don't need snowshoes or anything. Sometimes there can be steep snow slopes that are difficult to walk on. Would be helpful to have an ice axe or walking poles but not necesary. You might have to modify your plans a bit to avoid steep places. The trail can be under s steep snow slope but there's some other way to get there. Be careful and don't get lost :)

Virginia99

Post by Virginia99 » July 18th, 2008, 2:18 pm

I am not sure I am up for the North Ridge Rt on Adams solo. Looks mostly non-technical, but I have never done anything more than South Sister and Mt St Helens in the snow, so I am wary of having no assistance. I will look into the Mt Hood backpacks this evening. I am slowly thinking I will be heading to the Strawberry Mtn area, regardless of the drive. When I drove cross-country from North Carolina, I told everyone that the Blue Mtns were the most scenic part, so I have been meaning to get out there for a while and this gives me a good excuse to put the miles on my car. Keep the ideas coming and thanks.