Silver Star via Bluff Mtn. Trail

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
fellwalker

Silver Star via Bluff Mtn. Trail

Post by fellwalker » July 14th, 2008, 2:00 pm

We spent Sunday hiking this exceptional approach to Silver Star Mtn. It makes for a long day -- plan on about 8 hours including lunch and breaks -- but the rewards are great: scenic vistas, spectacular views of the major Cascade peaks, abundant wildflowers and very little traffic. The trail is now clear of snow most of the way with a couple of exceptions. Snow covers part of the trail through the stretch of forest just before Bald Mtn. It's fairly evident which direction to proceed so you shouldn't encounter any problems here. Later however, less than a quarter mile before reaching the summit, the trail disappears completely under snow. We crossed a couple of small snowfields and after maybe 150 yards decided to simply to bushwack uphill for about 50-75 yards where we connected once again with a portion of the trail that was snow free. The approach to the summit was just a few yards ahead of us.
Attachments
bluff mtn. 8.jpg
bluff mtn. 5.jpg
Mt. Adams with forest fire to the right.
bluff mtn 4.jpg
bluff mtn 2.jpg

jeffstatt

Re: Silver Star via Bluff Mtn. Trail

Post by jeffstatt » July 14th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Yeah that trail is a haul! Especially with no shape and all the heat you had yesterday! How surreal was it to see that smoke out there? Still snow up there huh? Wow.

fettster

Post by fettster » July 17th, 2008, 2:53 pm

That's a great trail and it brings back the memories looking at your pictures. It's been interesting how many different places people saw the smoke plume this last weekend. How's the road doing now for the trail head? I recall it being okay but not great when I went.

Should this thread be moved to Trip Reports?

Dan-o

Post by Dan-o » July 18th, 2008, 8:37 am

[quote="fettster"] How's the road doing now for the trail head? I recall it being okay but not great when I went.

Inspired by Fettster's original trip report, I made the same trek last Monday. A great hike indeed, although the day was a hot one. The road however was not so great. Just as I was about to hit the trail, I noticed my truck's tire was going flat! Apparently a rock cut. Knowing that I'd be hot and tired at the end of the day, I changed it and then headed out. Fortunately the rest of 'em were fine when I returned.

I've noticed that several of the Gifford P's mainline roads aren't nearly as well marked or maintained as those in the Mt. Hood and Willamette NF's. Lots of major potholes and long sections of protruding base rock.

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » July 21st, 2008, 9:56 am

That's one of my favorites, and for what it's worth, that trail appears on the cover of the current edition of my book.