Been Up Killen Creek on Mt. Adams?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
OneSpeed

Been Up Killen Creek on Mt. Adams?

Post by OneSpeed » July 11th, 2008, 6:02 pm

I'm planning a backpack for a few weeks from now, and a ranger on the Cowlitz District told me Killen Creek is her favorite trail. That kind of statement from a wilderness ranger always make an impression on me.

I saw the limited trailhead description in the Field Guide, and there are some more details in the Foggy Flat hike, but I was wondering if anybody has detailed info on the trail itself.

Here's our basic plan, cobbled together from the GPNF site and a PCT guidebook: go up Killen Creek Trail to the PCT and turn north, and according to the PCT guide, where it crosses Killen Creek there's an "exquisite campsite." The ranger said it's pretty darn open all over the place and you can just camp anywhere, with the usual stipulations.

Sounds like maybe High Camp, which is south on the PCT, is another possibility -- but I don't know much about it. Any other suggestions for good campsites, or maybe another place in the area that's better?

Thanks!
Paul

Aimless

Re: Been Up Killen Creek on Mt. Adams?

Post by Aimless » July 11th, 2008, 6:33 pm

I've been up Killen Creek trail a few times in the past two years. It is a very nice hike. High Camp is not actually on the PCT, but above it. At the junction of the Killen Creek trail and PCT you're at about 6100 ft. The trail to High Camp comes down to the PCT at the same place and is clearly marked.

To the north, following the PCT for a couple (iirc?) miles is Killen Creek Falls, something of a beauty spot with campsites nearby. Bugs can be bad there in the weeks just after the snow melts, which will be quite late this year. A few weeks from now it is possible that High Camp will still be under snow and the PCT only just emerging out from under.

If that is the case, there is a meadow about 3/4 mile lower down on the Killen Creek trail, prior to the PCT, where camping is possible and there's a great view of Mt Adams.

Good luck and happy hiking.
Last edited by Aimless on July 12th, 2008, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

BCJ

Post by BCJ » July 11th, 2008, 8:39 pm

Killen Creek is a classic...some of the best lupine meadows anywhere. I would recommend camping at High Camp (as mentioned before, it's not on the PCT, but heads straight toward the mountain at the PCT junction. There is a beautiful cascade and great meadows if you follow the PCT about a mile or less to the east...since the Killen Creek trail is so short, this is a great option. I went cross-country from here up to High Camp without much problem and found some great little streams and cascades. Below timberline, the bugs can be thick so camping up at High Camp would give you a lot of relief from those as well as spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and the Adams Glacier. There is a lot of cross-country exploring options in the area and it's quite difficult to get lost since the PCT wraps around the mountain on that side so you just have to head downhill until you intersect it. The moraine above High Camp has nice, close-up views of Adams. The elevation gain from the trailhead to High Camp is something like 2500' so it isn't too difficult.

BCJ

Post by BCJ » July 11th, 2008, 8:57 pm

One other note...this is without question the dustiest trail I have ever been on. If it's been dry then you can expect to get dust a couple of inches deep in some stretches as you leave the trailhead. It gets better as you get higher, but those dusty sections can be annoying (but nothing to worry about).

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 11th, 2008, 9:36 pm

The field guide entry http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... adows_Hike is the description of the hike to "Adams Glacier Meadow" but maybe a more common name for that is "High Camp". Based on this thread, maybe I should change the name in the field guide.

I agree with what others have said - great area, possibly bugy, very dusty trail,...

High Camp is great in nice weather but I've been there in bad weather when it's been brutal so keep an eye on the weather.

I bet there's a lot of snow up there right now. You might not even be able to get to the trailhead. That area is further East, so it gets less snow, but it's on the West side of Mount Adams so it would get more snow. At that nice area of Killen Creek, the elevation is about 6000', so it may be totally snow covered, or there may be plenty of clear areas to camp.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » July 12th, 2008, 9:00 am

Ooops. I need to correct myself. The falls I spoke of is north of the jct with the PCT, not south. I will edit my original to eliminate this error, but I also need to call attention to the error for those who already read the original prior to editing. Sorry.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 12th, 2008, 9:17 am

Aimless wrote:Ooops. I need to correct myself. The falls I spoke of is north of the jct with the PCT, not south. I will edit my original to eliminate this error, but I also need to call attention to the error for those who already read the original prior to editing. Sorry.
I think that falls is the "exquisite campsite" mentioned above.

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » July 14th, 2008, 8:50 am

Love this place. We were just there 2 weeks ago for an attempt of the N ridge. Had to hike in to the trailhead but should be clear now. Its a little early for horseback riders so its not dusty yet. High Camp is lovely and if bugs are bad, you usually have a little wind to keep them at bay. The campsite(s) near Killen creek are nice but will be buggy. There is a nice site right next to the falls there but its a little too noisy and you don't get much privacy. Try the site in the trees on the east side of the meadow. The journey to high camp can be a little tricky and involves a traverse along a steep snowfield so be prepared. Look for goats up high on the N Ridge and on Adams Glacier!
PCT class of 2012

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » July 14th, 2008, 11:09 am

Hey, thanks for all the feedback! Actually, the ranger station told me the road to the trailhead is already clear, and they figured the trail to the PCT would be completely clear very soon -- as for the PCT itself, up at 6100, we both figured there would be snow under the trees there for a couple of weeks.

Now, for the new question as of this morning: where is this fire? The map link on the Oregonian page is a joke -- shows it right on the summit!

drm

Post by drm » July 14th, 2008, 11:42 am

Remember that road 23 is closed, so you have to drive around from the north on US 12. The fire is south of Mt Adams, so it won't be a factor. The area should be clear to and a bit above the PCT in a few weeks, though you should expect patches, maybe some thick ones, in protected areas. There are nice areas to camp all around, below, above, the Killen Creek / PCT area. There are meadows above the Falls as well.