Been Up Killen Creek on Mt. Adams?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
scrambler2

Re: Been Up Killen Creek on Mt. Adams?

Post by scrambler2 » July 14th, 2008, 2:23 pm

OneSpeed wrote:Hey, thanks for all the feedback! Actually, the ranger station told me the road to the trailhead is already clear, and they figured the trail to the PCT would be completely clear very soon -- as for the PCT itself, up at 6100, we both figured there would be snow under the trees there for a couple of weeks.

Now, for the new question as of this morning: where is this fire? The map link on the Oregonian page is a joke -- shows it right on the summit!
Well, you really called the FS?!?!?! :lol: The same ones who actually told me the road was open to the trailhead two weeks ago BUT it was not. As far as your guys speculation of snow under the trees, at that elevation, there was actually less snow under the trees than out in the open. Think tree wells. There was 3-4 feet of snow at the PCT junction - the sign was just barely sticking out. So, I wonder how they figured that "the trail would be completely clear very soon?" Maybe they should go up there before they tell you that.
PCT class of 2012

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » July 15th, 2008, 9:38 am

And that's why we have this wonderful website!

Actually, I have found that in each district office there's a "trail person" that you need to speak to. The person answering the phone knows very little -- for the obvious reason that they are sitting in the office answering the phone.

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » July 15th, 2008, 10:21 am

OneSpeed wrote:And that's why we have this wonderful website!
Exactly my point! You can ask people who have traveled the trail recently and rely on that information instead of F.S. speculation. Please tell them when they get up there this year to put some widerness permits in the box. And the maps and signs on the trailhead board need to be stapled back up as of July 6th 2008. Oh, and just in case - if there still is a boot track in the snow higher up - the way everyone else was going, you will miss the PCT junction. I am not sure if this information is any good anymore since it was 9 days ago - you may need to verify it.
PCT class of 2012