Need easy to moderate hike near Tillamook

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
lucki13

Need easy to moderate hike near Tillamook

Post by lucki13 » July 10th, 2008, 10:43 am

My parents are coming on their first visit from Ohio, and my mother is not in great shape. I am hoping to find an easy to moderate hike (less than 10 miles) that my parents, husband, and room mate can do together on the coast in 2 weeks. A co-worker mentioned one out to the point, but I can't find info online about it.

Please help!

retired jerry

Re: Need easy to moderate hike near Tillamook

Post by retired jerry » July 10th, 2008, 11:25 am

Look at the field guide, for example http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... okout_Hike

lucki13

Post by lucki13 » July 10th, 2008, 11:44 am

Gosh, somehow I saw it on the 'Find a Hike!' search and didn't figure out that it is only 12 miles South of Tillamook. I've been in Portland two years, but worked 2 jobs most of that, and am just finally getting out to enjoy the reason we moved here!

Thanks for the suggestion! Looks awesome.

I also found a steeper but shorter hike up Neahkahnie Mtn. to the North. Any thoughts?

cfm

Post by cfm » July 10th, 2008, 12:12 pm

Other easy hikes to consider near Tillamook are Bayocean spit, Whalen Island and Niagara Falls.

There is an easier way up the backside of Neakhanie. Here is a good description with directions from Bill Sullivan.

If you can hit it at low tide, Hug Point is a great spot to visit. Hug Point is a little state park wayside located north of Oswald West and south of Arch Rock on 101. From the Hug Point parking area, if it's low tide, head north and go around the point to find a waterfall spilling onto the beach, caves, and an old wagon road carved into the basalt. Here is a trip report from last year.

Peder

Post by Peder » July 10th, 2008, 12:14 pm

Both hikes are superb. Cape Lookout has very little height difference and is well suited for a family. My 76 y.o. Mother did it easily this spring. Neahkahnie Mountain sports 1,000 height differences, so it is physically more demanding though shorter in distance. You could also consider a number of other hikes, for example Bayocean Spit is lovely and not too strenuous, with options of 4 or 8 mile loops.
As you live here, go to your library and find a Hiking Guide for the Oregon Coast! There are several good guide books to choose from.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 10th, 2008, 2:13 pm

I love Neahkahnie Mountain. I took my three boys (then) 3,6 and 9 up there a few years back and they all did pretty well....However it might be a bit demanding for your mom. Nearby inside Oswald West State Park in Cape Falcon, and to me the prettiest beach on the coast: Short Sands Beach. To me it's can't miss . But so are all the other suggestions people made :) Good luck choosing!!