Larch Mountain

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mikerswllg

Re: Larch Mountain

Post by mikerswllg » July 11th, 2008, 6:21 pm

I just returned from the Larch Mountain crater loop hike. On my way I met a guy who had turned back because of snow. Multnomah Creek Way certainly had some heavy patches of snow, but I found my way through without a gps or any fancy stuff like that, and the snow was easy to walk on. There were a couple moments when the trail seemed to "disappear" and had me panicking for a second or two, but I was able to figure it out without much trouble. No ribbons or anything but the snowy parts aren't big enough to cover the trail very long. If you have a general idea where the trail is going you'll be fine. It was my first time doing this hike. Of course not much hiking is required for the panoramic view with the road open...

-Q-

Post by -Q- » July 11th, 2008, 9:11 pm

I was up there this afternoon as well. Mainly to relax at Sherrads Point, read my book, and get my 5 volcano view fix :P

Amazing how hazy the skies are with the fires burning down in California.

joerunner

Post by joerunner » July 15th, 2008, 8:10 am

I was up there several weeks ago and there was about 3 feet of snow around the parking lot. Yesterday there was none. The larch mountain trail, crater loop trail and oneonta trails were clear too except for a few small patches. A few weeks of heat makes a big difference.

get out

Post by get out » July 15th, 2008, 8:55 am

I did the Larch Mountain loop (Oneonta Trail, Multnomah Creek Way, Larch Mountain Trail) on Sunday 7/13. A little snow in a few places but no issues finding my way. I was checking out the view from the point prior to the hike and thought I noticed a little smoke towards Mt. Adams; when I saw the news that night I was amazed at how quickly the fire took off.

Paul

Post by Paul » July 15th, 2008, 9:53 am

How was the blowdowns on the loop? Anyone get out there to clean it up yet?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

joerunner

Post by joerunner » July 15th, 2008, 12:09 pm

I don't think anybody has been out to clear the trails but there were very few blowdowns. The most of which I saw were on the trail that cuts thru larch mt. Crater.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 15th, 2008, 4:30 pm

TKO is tentatively scheduled to work that trail on August 9th - but I imagine a crew will be up there with saws before we get there.