Two day backpacking trip recommendations

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
retired jerry

Re: Two day backpacking trip recommendations

Post by retired jerry » March 22nd, 2024, 5:16 am

When I camp on snow, I need an extra closed cell foam matt to sleep on - the snow really sucks the heat out

Depending on the snow - sometimes it's hard snow I can just walk on, or soft snow you need snowshoes or skis, or icy snow you need micro spikes.

If it's also cold then you need extra stuff for that

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » March 22nd, 2024, 6:50 am

With winter camping you need to be mentally prepared to tackle the boredom that comes with very long nights… especially in the December to February timeframe. The ‘at camp’ experience is completely different… you likely won’t have a much of a fire (if any) so you won’t be outside much after sunset at 5 pm. You can use the opportunity to either double your current sleep, or get through an entire novel per night while tucked in your sleeping bag.

My preferred winter setup is a hammock, but with a substantial sleeping pad and quilt below me. It’s counterintuitive but it’s warmer than sleeping on the snow.

Your hike in will also be half of the speed you’re used to, so adjust accordingly to account for short days.
instagram: @remyodyssey

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » March 22nd, 2024, 8:00 pm

I’m fully prepared for winter hammocking, but I don’t have spikes, shoes, short skies, or other snow going items.

Where would good locations for snow trekking include?

Charley

Post by Charley » March 22nd, 2024, 10:52 pm

leiavoia wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 8:00 pm
I’m fully prepared for winter hammocking, but I don’t have spikes, shoes, short skies, or other snow going items.

Where would good locations for snow trekking include?
There are some good suggestions in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=31154
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

drm

Post by drm » March 25th, 2024, 8:01 am

I would just add that as we get into spring, you have the chance for trips that travel on snow but set up camp on ground that is melted out. If you know the area you are heading out to from summer travel, think of camping spots with open southern exposures. The north side of a lake will often work. I have made a habit of spring camps in Indian Heaven Wilderness, camping on the one melted out spot next to a lake. It's gorgeous and sometimes you can camp solo in places that are crowded in summer. And by springtime, you get away from those dreadful long nights, and also before mosquitoes show up. We are not far from 8pm sunsets.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » March 25th, 2024, 10:02 pm

Last year I ventured out to Cast Lake near mt hood when my trip to wherever else blocked by snow or fire or whatever it was. Trip started out sunny and warm but then hit patches of snow and then 6 ft of snow. No one was at the lake, the lake was just beginning to thaw, and I could tromp around in just regular shoes and gaiters. Spring thaw had started leaving the snow icey on top. Was fun.