WA FR 9341 and the Dark Divide (Snagtooth Creek)

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
johnspeth

WA FR 9341 and the Dark Divide (Snagtooth Creek)

Post by johnspeth » October 26th, 2023, 4:26 pm

Exploring the Dark Divide from the Snagtooth Creek trailhead had been my project for a few years until forest road 9341 was finally completely blocked sometime before my last visit in 2019. There was a massive tree lying right down the middle of the road near its' intersection with road 93. That blockage plus a years earlier big rockslide 2 miles up the road seemingly forced the USFS to abandon the road. I'm not sure if that was an official decision or just happenstance.

The Snagtooth trailhead was still easy to get to with a bike but there is no way to cut back the brush because the road appeared abandoned. I'd be sure it was overgrown and difficult to travel on until I learned today that the 9341 road is open to Snagtooth Creek. I called the Mt Adams ranger station to ask what "open" really means. Surprisingly, I got a call back from "Mike" (works on a road crew) who told me:

1. The major rockslide and big tree have been removed/repaired so fire crews could get to the Snagtooth fire.
2. The road is open all the way to Snagtooth Creek now that the fire is over.
3. There is a recent muddy overwash somewhere that might be blocking the road (didn't know specifically).

There was no mention of road surface quality (was previously paved) or brushy overgrowth along the road.

Has anybody been there since 9341 opened again?

If so, please share what you know about 9341.

retired jerry

Re: WA FR 9341 and the Dark Divide (Snagtooth Creek)

Post by retired jerry » October 26th, 2023, 6:33 pm

Probably snow there now

quail

Post by quail » October 27th, 2023, 5:42 am

If it was used for fire access, they probably cut back the brush to some extent.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » October 31st, 2023, 10:46 am

I have a new update on this road: Road 9341 appears to be closed again due to a new slide.

How do I know this? A very nice lady from the Mt Adams ranger station called me UNPROMPTED yesterday to alert me to the new road closure. I assume this slide is related to the "overwash" I was told about last week. I am so pleased to be the beneficiary of efforts from nice government employees who have not surrendered to bureaucratic apathy!