Fall car camping options?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
drm

Re: Fall car camping options?

Post by drm » October 17th, 2023, 1:16 pm

I occasionally stay at campground after they are officially closed, but I always call the rangers and ask about it if I haven't done so recently. No need to guess. Rangers are our friends. :D

The nearest trail to the Trout Lake Creek campground (which I have stayed at) is Sleeping Beauty, about four miles away, which is a short and steep hike (about 1500' up in 1.5 miles) to a fabulous viewpoint. If you are doing photography, the sun is in the right place in the afternoon. Next closest might be East Crater trail into Indian Heaven or the PCT at Crest Camp. There isn't a lot of hiking real close by.

If you are going into Gifford Pinchot NF, you could also consider the Mineral Springs Campground north of Carson. Pretty sure it is usable after closing and all the Trapper Creek trails are right there, as well as Falls Creek Falls. It's not as nice a CG as Trout Lake Ck, but is a great hiking basecamp with so many trails nearby. Depends on which is your priority.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » October 17th, 2023, 1:39 pm

Jett Powered wrote:
October 17th, 2023, 10:22 am
I'm planning to visit Timothy Lake and he recommended I find one of the many dispersed sites along FS 5740 or 5750.
If you don't mind a short walk (1/8 mile) from the car to camp, I would recommend parking along 4280 (on the east side of Timothy Lake) and walking down to the PCT and camping in one of the many spots along the water. I've done it a couple times, both early and late in the season. There are obviously closed dispersed camping spots along 4280, just find a place to park on the shoulder outside those areas and then make your way down the hill.
instagram: @remyodyssey

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 17th, 2023, 2:49 pm

All the campgrounds i mentioned except the first stay open - deschutes, Metolius, mill creek, cottonwood

Aimless

Post by Aimless » October 17th, 2023, 3:53 pm

Many Oregon State Park campgrounds keep at least some of their campsites open year around. Especially ones that also offer yurts/cabins.

Jett Powered

Post by Jett Powered » October 17th, 2023, 8:28 pm

retired jerry wrote:
October 17th, 2023, 2:49 pm
All the campgrounds i mentioned except the first stay open - deschutes, Metolius, mill creek, cottonwood
I totally appreciate the suggestions. I was just at Cottonwood a few months ago and had a great time. Mill Creek and Metolius are a bit too far of a drive for me. I would love to return to Camp Sherman but it'll have to wait until I have more time. Though I'm only medium old I have arthritis in my back that is fine if I keep moving but causes problems if I sit still too long. Anything over 2 hours requires that I stop for a couple hours to move around and do PT.

Jett Powered

Post by Jett Powered » October 17th, 2023, 8:30 pm

Aimless wrote:
October 17th, 2023, 3:53 pm
Many Oregon State Park campgrounds keep at least some of their campsites open year around. Especially ones that also offer yurts/cabins.
I really should do more exploring of both Oregon and Washington State Park campgrounds. I dunno why I got stuck on Mt. Hood. Probably just because it's so close and beautiful. :)

Jett Powered

Post by Jett Powered » October 17th, 2023, 8:43 pm

drm wrote:
October 17th, 2023, 1:16 pm
I occasionally stay at campground after they are officially closed, but I always call the rangers and ask about it if I haven't done so recently. No need to guess. Rangers are our friends. :D

The nearest trail to the Trout Lake Creek campground (which I have stayed at) is Sleeping Beauty, about four miles away, which is a short and steep hike (about 1500' up in 1.5 miles) to a fabulous viewpoint. If you are doing photography, the sun is in the right place in the afternoon. Next closest might be East Crater trail into Indian Heaven or the PCT at Crest Camp. There isn't a lot of hiking real close by.

If you are going into Gifford Pinchot NF, you could also consider the Mineral Springs Campground north of Carson. Pretty sure it is usable after closing and all the Trapper Creek trails are right there, as well as Falls Creek Falls. It's not as nice a CG as Trout Lake Ck, but is a great hiking basecamp with so many trails nearby. Depends on which is your priority.
Indeed, I plan to respect what the ranger said and not stay in one of the closed campgrounds. Really glad I called.

I was thinking about Lemei Rock near Trout Lake Creek but Gov't Mineral Springs looks like a great option. Thank you!

drm

Post by drm » October 19th, 2023, 6:31 am

Personally I would go to Indian Heaven while the fall colors are still out and save Trapper Creek for after that, when it's lower altitude means reasonable temps in late fall or even early winter some years. Some years Trapper Creek is hikable and snowless all the way up well into December.