Wallowa Mountains

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
drm

Re: Wallowa Mountains

Post by drm » June 26th, 2008, 8:50 am

I use the Geographics map and then scan and print parts of if using my computer for individual trips, maybe enlargening a bit in the process.

The only other option is to use one of the custom mapping services. The downtown REI has one onsite. There are others online like mytopo.com. You're gonna pay $10 or so for a map of your choice area, more for larger maps. So it's more expensive.

There are probably CDs that you can buy with all of Oregon that you then print out the part you want. That's even more expensive up-front, but then you've got the whole state.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 26th, 2008, 9:33 am

You can go to the field guide, go to any destination, and then select portland hikers maps

This gives you the USGS topo maps

You can copy-paste pages into some other application and then print out a map

This is a bit labor intensive, but the price is right

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » June 26th, 2008, 1:38 pm

I agree with Granniehiker that the Lorain book has the best info. I think the maps in the book are Geo-graphic. Last summer my friend and I followed his advice and hiked the loop starting at Eagle creek up to Horton Pass (with a detour to the snowless Eagle Cap summit!), then down into Lakes Basin. The route then climbs over 2 passes into the Imnaha valley, and finally up to Crater Lake and down to the trailhead. Loop hike, 40-some miles, 10K ft elevation gain, 4 days and 3 nights.

We photocopied and enlarged the maps in Lorain's book (in color) and they treated us perfectly.

Highlights included:
1. Deer in our camp all night at Hidden Lake
2. Eagle Cap summit
3. Lakes Basin and Glacier Lake (possibly the most beautiful I've seen)
4. Absolute privacy the 3rd day; only saw two other people heading the other way!

Advice:
1. Like everyone else has mentioned, bugs. We crashed at 8 pm one night so we could hide...
2. Bring sunscreen; I was burned where I'd never been burned before...
3. Fill up water at every opportunity; those passes are high, dry, and exposed.
4. The trail up to Crater Lake was hot and there were over 30 fallen trees across the trail; from the lake down, the trail goes through ankle-twisting talus and miles of hot, very brushy "corridors" that scratch the heck out of exposed skin.

And just in case you're wondering, it was by far the most fun backpacking I've ever had - incredibly beautiful and remote and nothing but good times. One last thing: drive back via the Powder River to Baker City, and eat at the brewpub downtown - Best. Burger. Ever.