Wallowa Lake to Dollar Lake

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
longboard16

Wallowa Lake to Dollar Lake

Post by longboard16 » September 3rd, 2023, 7:25 pm

Looking for a possible trip in two or three weeks with the plan on staying at Wallowa Lake but making my way to Dollar Lake. It looks like a good destination with some great sights, providing the weather cooperates.

After reviewing some past trip reports and GAIA Routes it looks like a shorter route with less elevation gain is by taking the Mt. Howard Tram and then starting at the top of Mt. Howard and going to Dollar via East Peak, Aneroid Mountain and then down to Dollar Lake. On preplanning that route it looks like it is about 6.5 miles and about 2,500' EG. That is versus hiking up the East Fork of the Wallowa River to Aneroid Lake and then continue onto Dollar which measures out to about 7.5 miles but with 4,100' EG. The real question is the difficulty of coming down from the top of Aneroid to Dollar. Sounds like there is no trail but just scope out a route of least resistance and go down carefully. Also looks like instead of going to the top of Aneroid, one could take off to the right side around the 9,000' to 9,200' elevation and missed the more cliff like areas. Not sure if that is doable or makes any sense to those that have been that way.

From Dollar I would either then come back down the East Fork or go over Polaris Pass and down the West Fork with the latter option being if I have a extra day. Any feedback or comments is welcome.

drm

Re: Wallowa Lake to Dollar Lake

Post by drm » September 4th, 2023, 6:44 am

You need to read Brad's report of this route:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25888&p=196096#p196096

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » September 4th, 2023, 2:17 pm

The route down from Aneroid Mountain to Dollar Pass is steep and scrambly, especially at the top. It can also be easy to lose in places. Since my first trip report about the route from the tram across HEHA Ridge (Howard/East/Hidden/Aneroid) down to Dollar Pass, I can tell it has gotten more foot traffic. If cloudy, it would be best to avoid this route. If cloudy, you wouldn't want to pay the now $45 tram fee. BTW, the tram starts at 10:00 AM later in summer.

I am not aware of any known bypass route around Aneroid Mountain. Looking at Google Earth, it could be done, but would be some serious off-trail sidehilling. I wouldn't do it. Plus, you would miss the literal high point of the trip.

If you are in reasonably good shape, have good route finding skills, and it is a sunny day, HEHA Ridge is well worth the money and effort. You will not get any better views in the Wallowas in such a quick manner, packed into a single route.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

longboard16

Post by longboard16 » September 5th, 2023, 6:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I did read Brad's report and looked at his tracks and pictures several times as his TR's are considered the Gold Standard of reports :). Yes, the weather would have to cooperate as I want to see the sights and take a bunch of pictures vs seeing clouds, rain and thunder. Also aware of the later opening 10:00 AM and earlier closing 3:30 PM, just in case the altitude affects me on the way to Aneroid and say I need to go back down in elevation. While I do not expect altitude issues one always have to be aware of the possibility. Also had toss the coin between staying at Dollar or Jewitt Lake. Not sure if there is a benefit to one or the other. Guess will just have to wait and see what the weather God's say, as well as my wife who was going to stay in the motorhome at Wallowa Lake but is now going to stay home for some appointments.