Rogue-Umpqua Divide conditions for summer '23?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
kaleidescope

Rogue-Umpqua Divide conditions for summer '23?

Post by kaleidescope » August 7th, 2023, 9:10 am

Greetings from a new user who's wondering if anyone has been in the Rogue-Umpqua Divide Wilderness this season. I've never hiked there and am hoping to do an overnight this coming weekend. I'd be happy for any route suggestions for a ~20mi journey.

I spoke with the High Cascades FS office this morning -- they have not been able to send a crew in yet this season.

VanMarmot

Re: Rogue-Umpqua Divide conditions for summer '23?

Post by VanMarmot » August 8th, 2023, 9:46 am

I wrote an overview of this entire trail back in 2020, with updates in 2021. The FS did some work between Huckleberry and Abbott Butte in 2018 and the Siskiyou Mountain Club (a good source of info on trail conditions in S Oregon) restored the section from Yellow Jacket to Rocky Rim in August 2021. The section north of Happy Camp was badly damaged by fire and some of it is now an OHV (motorcycle) trail. I'd suggest Huckleberry to Happy Camp if you want to try this trail.

kaleidescope

Post by kaleidescope » August 8th, 2023, 10:42 am

I'd seen that report of yours about the Divide trail, thanks for putting that together. I'm not planning to do the whole stretch of the Divide trail as you did but rather a loop of some sort around Fish Lake, Rocky Rim, etc. (which would involve part of 1470), unless that plan is ill advised after the snow this year. Looking like I'll just have to head in there and see what I find.
VanMarmot wrote:
August 8th, 2023, 9:46 am
I wrote an overview of this entire trail back in 2020, with updates in 2021. The FS did some work between Huckleberry and Abbott Butte in 2018 and the Siskiyou Mountain Club (a good source of info on trail conditions in S Oregon) restored the section from Yellow Jacket to Rocky Rim in August 2021. The section north of Happy Camp was badly damaged by fire and some of it is now an OHV (motorcycle) trail. I'd suggest Huckleberry to Happy Camp if you want to try this trail.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 9th, 2023, 6:45 am

I visited the area in mid-July and that wilderness feels very neglected in terms of trail maintenance. I hiked Abbott Butte from Road 68 and the trail doesn't appear to be maintained anymore. Brushy, overgrown, lots of blowdown. (BTW, the old decrepit lookout on Abbott Butte has collapsed, probably during the 2021-2022 winter.)

I also hiked the Acker Divide Trail between Cripple Camp and Road 530. This trail felt slightly less neglected, but was still in rough shape in places. The section closest to 530 was burnt six years ago and is now a maze of blowdown.

Looking forward to your report!

kaleidescope

Post by kaleidescope » August 9th, 2023, 3:31 pm

Should I be able to see the Acker Divide Trail in that game of pick up sticks?

I was planning to hike that same section, having started at the end of road 870 (past Happy Camp) and heading towards Buckeye Lake area for the night. Clearly I need to temper my mileage expectations.

Thanks for the reply, super helpful.
justpeachy wrote:
August 9th, 2023, 6:45 am
I also hiked the Acker Divide Trail between Cripple Camp and Road 530. This trail felt slightly less neglected, but was still in rough shape in places. The section closest to 530 was burnt six years ago and is now a maze of blowdown.

Looking forward to your report!