Western 3 Sisters Wilderness (French Pete TH)

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Walkin' Fool

Western 3 Sisters Wilderness (French Pete TH)

Post by Walkin' Fool » July 4th, 2023, 8:17 am

I’m trying to put together an up-to-5-day backpacking trip leaving from French Pete TH in mid August. I’m not familiar with the western part of the 3 Sisters Wilderness and my preliminary research has me feeling a bit uninspired. I’d love to hear any recommendations for a trip in that area. Bigger days up to 20 miles aren't a problem, so maybe it’s possible to reach some more interesting terrain? Shorter days are also OK, especially if there are places to fish. And a little bit of off trail/routefinding is fine. TIA!

retired jerry

Re: Western 3 Sisters Wilderness (French Pete TH)

Post by retired jerry » July 4th, 2023, 8:55 am

have you been closer to Three Sisters, like Lava Lake trailhead around Three Sisters, Broken Top, the trail between middle and south sister? More alpine, better views,...

Walkin' Fool

Post by Walkin' Fool » July 4th, 2023, 10:54 am

Yup, I've been up South, Middle, some smaller peaks and done the circumnav. The entry permit I'm working with is French Pete TH, so I'm trying to see if there's a way to make an interesting trip starting from there. If not, that's fine, I can just cancel the permit and go somewhere else.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 4th, 2023, 11:18 am

ahhh... that makes sense

those permits are obnoxious and, in my opinion, don't solve any problems

I've only gone a little west from the PCT. It looks like there are trails connecting all over, including going east to the PCT. Hopefully someone has more info.