Juniper Hills Preserve

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
bobcat

Juniper Hills Preserve

Post by bobcat » June 28th, 2023, 6:42 pm

I showed up at the Nature Conservancy's Juniper Hills Preserve last week and was told by a staff person that it was "closed to all public use" this year as they are "working on it." She also said that when/if it reopens to the general public, people will have to apply for an advance permit.

This contradicts TNC's own website, which simply has an announcement dating to 2021 stating that the preserve is open to the general public again: https://www.nature.org/en-us/get-involv ... per-hills/

The trails here were worked on by TKO's Bend operation. Sullivan lists Juniper Hills in the latest edition of his Eastern Oregon guidebook (Hike #18). He makes no mention of permits/restrictions.

Confusing - but maybe the person there on the ground knows more than any of these other sources? Maybe TNC has simply changed its mind and not updated the website.

There are/were two hiking options at the preserve, both right off Highway 380 about 10 miles east of Post, "the geographic center of Oregon." One of the options is the "other painted hills."

pmcjunkin

Re: Juniper Hills Preserve

Post by pmcjunkin » February 5th, 2024, 7:34 pm

I called and left a voicemail recently asking about the “other Painted Hills” access, and received one in return confirming that it’s closed, but to check back in June or July to see if it’s reopened.

I also emailed the TNC’s state office and was told the area might reopen in April, but to check back later in the spring. The message also said they’d work on getting the preserve’s website updated “ASAP”.