Source for Timberline Trail conditions

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
kwpapke

Source for Timberline Trail conditions

Post by kwpapke » May 29th, 2023, 3:30 pm

Howdy from Tucson, AZ. My daughter lives in Portland, so I've done a fair amount of hiking in the area. I am planning a group hike for the Timberline Trail in late August (21-25). Looks like there's been a lot of snow up there this winter, and wondering what the best source of info is on trail conditions. Before committing and having a small group buy airplane tickets, etc. I am hoping to get enough info to make a go/no-go decision. A little worried about avalanches, mudslides, etc. that could make a section of the trail impassable. I understand Muddy Fork to Yocum Ridge is still blown down, but at least there is an alternate route for that one.

Any pointers to conditions, or am I just too early?

TIA, Kurt
My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/KurtPapke?gvnc=1

retired jerry

Re: Source for Timberline Trail conditions

Post by retired jerry » May 29th, 2023, 4:26 pm

august 21-25 is pretty good. I don't think there will be any avalanches or mudslides or ...

There will probably be some snow patches to walk over, but there will be a boot path to follow. Mt Hood is currently at 100% of normal snow level https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/da ... update.pdf.

Stream crossings are the biggest problem. By august 21 they shouldn't be too bad. September would be better, but then you start risking bad weather, but usually, September is best.

There will probably be trip reports posted here before then with up to date conditions.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 29th, 2023, 4:29 pm

oh, the other problem is forest fire smoke. There are times it's too bad for sane people.

you could have a backup plan just in case. The trail around Three Sisters is nice.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 29th, 2023, 6:52 pm

retired jerry wrote:
May 29th, 2023, 4:29 pm
The trail around Three Sisters is nice.
True. But getting a permit for the Three Sisters in late August could prove challenging.

kwpapke

Post by kwpapke » May 30th, 2023, 8:42 am

retired jerry wrote:
May 29th, 2023, 4:26 pm
august 21-25 is pretty good. I don't think there will be any avalanches or mudslides or ...

There will probably be some snow patches to walk over, but there will be a boot path to follow. Mt Hood is currently at 100% of normal snow level https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/da ... update.pdf.

Stream crossings are the biggest problem. By august 21 they shouldn't be too bad. September would be better, but then you start risking bad weather, but usually, September is best.

There will probably be trip reports posted here before then with up to date conditions.
Good to hear from you Jerry - I miss editing your reports at BGT!
I wasn't worried about avalanche/mudslides while on the trail, more stuff that happened this winter with all the snow. Thanks for the snow report pointer! --Kurt
My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/KurtPapke?gvnc=1

kwpapke

Post by kwpapke » May 30th, 2023, 8:42 am

Aimless wrote:
May 29th, 2023, 6:52 pm
retired jerry wrote:
May 29th, 2023, 4:29 pm
The trail around Three Sisters is nice.
True. But getting a permit for the Three Sisters in late August could prove challenging.
Did the 3 Sisters a decade ago before it got too crowded :-( Thanks for the suggestion though!
--Kurt

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 30th, 2023, 12:32 pm

Yeah, thats too bad BGT is suspended

drm

Post by drm » May 30th, 2023, 12:57 pm

this site is your best place to monitor conditions on Hood.

But The Mt Hood Test Site Snotel is now well below average in snow after our record-breaking torrid May. And June will be starting out hot too. You will have nothing to worry about snow or high water by late August. Wildfire is the concern, and there is no way to plan ahead for that. Just research some alternatives, especially in the Olympics, since as a coastal range, they are rarely impacted by fire. The Olympics are my go-to Plan B when other places are closed or too smoky. And many parts of it are easy to get permits to.

kwpapke

Post by kwpapke » May 30th, 2023, 1:04 pm

drm wrote:
May 30th, 2023, 12:57 pm
this site is your best place to monitor conditions on Hood.

But The Mt Hood Test Site Snotel is now well below average in snow after our record-breaking torrid May. And June will be starting out hot too. You will have nothing to worry about snow or high water by late August. Wildfire is the concern, and there is no way to plan ahead for that. Just research some alternatives, especially in the Olympics, since as a coastal range, they are rarely impacted by fire. The Olympics are my go-to Plan B when other places are closed or too smoky. And many parts of it are easy to get permits to.
Thanks and thanks. Olympics are a good idea - visited, but never backpacked there.

mayonnaiserat

Post by mayonnaiserat » June 22nd, 2023, 9:21 am

Hey there from Tucson! Sounds like you've got an exciting hike ahead of you. You may be too early to get a full report on trail conditions for Timberline Trail, but you could always check online forums or contact some of the rangers in the area. You could probably get some first-hand info and tips from folks who have already been in the area recently. Otherwise, it's probably best to just stay updated on the weather patterns prior to your trip and plan accordingly. Good luck!