North Cascades vs Eagle Cap

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
six_keys

North Cascades vs Eagle Cap

Post by six_keys » April 16th, 2023, 7:35 pm

Looking for some hiking/travel advice. Looking to spend 3ish full days in one of these areas in early August. Main activity will be hiking, but my hiking partner can only hike up to 8ish miles if there is decent elevation gain.

I have never been to either of these areas. Which one could we find hikes with beautiful views but stay within my partner's hiking ability?

This would be for day hikes, not backpacking.

Thanks!

Aimless

Re: North Cascades vs Eagle Cap

Post by Aimless » April 16th, 2023, 8:41 pm

Both areas are cram-packed with beautiful views of all descriptions, but it would be easier to give you a useful answer if you could pin some kind of number to what you're thinking is a "decent elevation gain". :?

six_keys

Post by six_keys » April 17th, 2023, 12:28 pm

Thanks, that makes sense. My guess is approximately 2000 ft elevation gain would be around the maximum.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » April 17th, 2023, 1:28 pm

I'm much more familiar with Eagle Cap than the North Cascades, so I'll confine myself to that area.

On the north side of Eagle Cap, the hike to Minam Lake on the West Fork Lostine trail out of Two Pan trailhead is about 1800 ft of gain in 6.5 miles. Mirror Lake from the same trailhead, but the East Fork Lostine trail is right about 2000 ft of gain in 7.5 miles. These are very popular hikes and the trailhead parking usually overflows down the road a ways.

On the east side, Bonny Lakes from the Tenderfoot trailhead is a moderate 1300 ft of gain in about 4 miles, but the access road is a bit rough. You can eliminate the rough road (#100) by starting at Salt Creek Summit Sno-Park instead, which adds another 4 miles and 600 ft. gain to Bonny Lakes. There's also the Imnaha River trail on the east side, which is fairly easy river bottom trail with a gradual ascent and good camping at about the 7 mile mark, but less photogenic views until you get further up the South Fork of the Imnaha - which could be on your second day's hike. The east side hikes tend to be less shady and sometimes travel through old burns.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 17th, 2023, 3:12 pm

If you want an 8 mile day hike, then you can only go in 4 miles.

The first 4 miles up either of the Lostine trails is really nice, although it gets better further in. The first 4 miles is up a glacier valley, grassy meadows with ridges on either side.

There's a tram you can take from Wallowa Lake. I've never done it, but it takes you to the best alpine views with nice trails from there. Maybe you could take the tram up and the trail back down.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » April 17th, 2023, 5:16 pm

Hmmm. I was thinking entirely in terms of three-day backpacks, not three out-and-back day hikes. It's very difficult to get into the best views in Eagle Cap with an upper limit of 2000 ft of gain and within 4 miles of the trailheads. Some nice places along the rivers, but not the real high points.

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » April 18th, 2023, 2:42 pm

I recommend that you buy a book. The Mountaineers have published a number of North Cascades hiking books over the years.
You might take a look at Park Butte on the south side of Mt. Baker. There was a lookout on top of the butte when I was there many years ago. Also a nice reflection pond just below the lookout.
On the north side of Mt. Baker the hike to Yellow Aster Lakes would be within your limits. Great views of Mt. Baker, Mt Shuksan and the American and Canadian Border Peaks. If your friend had some gas left in the tank, you could proceed a little higher for expansive views from the top of Yellow Aster Butte.
The Mt Baker ski area is south of Yellow Aster Butte and I believe it provides relatively high elevation access to some pretty nice hiking. I have not hiked there.

six_keys

Post by six_keys » April 18th, 2023, 8:03 pm

Thanks everyone! This gives me a great jumping off point for my research. Really appreciate the feedback.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » April 19th, 2023, 3:08 am

For the Wallowa trip, consider taking Wallowa Lake > Ice Lake > Matterhorn Summit as an alternative to Eagle Cap (assuming you meant Eagle Cap the summit as opposed to Eagle Cap the region). It’s closer to the trailhead and better suited for 3 day trip. However I would say that if you want to visit the area at all, I strongly recommend going for 5+ day trip. Scenery improves as you approach the center and only going for 3 days is almost disrespectful.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » April 19th, 2023, 7:34 am

I can't speak of the North Cascades, but for the Wallowas, there is not much that can be done of a day hike for an eight mile round trip with only 2,000 EG. The only thing I can think of is taking the tram and going over to East Peak and back.

You could take short trips partially up a trail, like Lostine or one of the forks of the Wallowa River, but it would not be the great Wallowa views you see pictures of.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports