North Cascades vs Eagle Cap

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Bosterson

Re: North Cascades vs Eagle Cap

Post by Bosterson » April 19th, 2023, 8:07 am

Born2BBrad wrote:
April 19th, 2023, 7:34 am
I can't speak of the North Cascades, but for the Wallowas, there is not much that can be done of a day hike for an eight mile round trip with only 2,000 EG.
I don't know North Cascades that well, but I kinda doubt that would be true there either - it's a pretty steep place. There's lots to see there even from the car, though, and surely it is possible to hike somewhere for a short distance without it being steep (eg, like along Ross Lake or something), but probably not to get up into prime alpine locations.

I can't think of any Eagle Cap destinations that would meet your criteria per se - like where you could basecamp and then do different things on multiple days that are short distance and low EG. But if destinations aren't important and you're ok with going out and back, from the north side you could just wander down Hurricane Creek one day, Lostine the next, etc. It's still very pretty and you can just turn around when you feel like it. Another option would be going to the south side - like wandering up Main Eagle Creek for a while, which is quite lovely. The south side is harder for having multiple destinations though, and the 3 Eagle Creeks aren't super different from each other, especially lower down, which is where you'd be. Catherine Creek Meadows could be a nice destination (if buggy), and that W/SW side is pleasant and less used, but it's also like the "foothills" of Eagle Cap, so kind of a lesser destination. Eastern Oregon in general is pretty nice though and definitely worth visiting regardless, so given how limited your criteria are, you might just head down there and poke around for a few days.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » April 20th, 2023, 1:45 pm

There is a town on the way to Mt. Baker Ski Area called Glacier. I found a website--ShoulderSeason.net--about a family that rented a house in Glacier and took a week of day hikes. The site has beautiful pictures and many of the hikes involve less than eight miles and 2,000 vertical feet. Worth a look.

drm

Post by drm » April 25th, 2023, 7:59 am

Been to North Cascades NP a bunch and would tend to agree that there are better moderate dayhike options there for views. Cascade Pass and Maple Loop come to mind. Both are extremely popular and can be very crowded though. Got to go midweek.

I would add that Mt Rainier NP has great views for short hikes, but crowds and logistics only get harder there. Burroughs Mtn and Mt Fremont Lookout, both out of the Sunrise area, are hard to beat.

six_keys

Post by six_keys » April 30th, 2023, 2:29 pm

Thanks! Sounds like Eagle Cap might not be the right fit for this trip. I am looking into Glacier as a base right now for the Mt Baker area. Much appreciated!