Hell's Canyon end of March 2023

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
MichelleM

Hell's Canyon end of March 2023

Post by MichelleM » March 15th, 2023, 2:44 pm

I am looking at going to Hell's Canyon at the end of March. My plan was to do a big 50ish mi loop from freeze out trailhead going on high trail, snake trail and saddle Creek trail. Does anybody know if there's going to be too much snow to do this with anything more than just micro spikes? Are there any other alternatives that anyone would suggest?

Thanks!

teachpdx

Re: Hell's Canyon end of March 2023

Post by teachpdx » March 15th, 2023, 3:35 pm

It looks like there will definitely be a LOT of snow in the upper reaches.

Although there are no SNOTEL sites in the immediate area, sites between 5000-6000 ft in the Wallowas are currently showing anywhere between 60"-100" of snow on the ground. I know that's more than I'd want to deal with if I'm also trying to cover a lot of miles.

And our trusty go-to every spring, the snow depth map, pretty much shows the same thing.
https://adamschneider.net/hiking/snow_depth.html
instagram: @remyodyssey

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 15th, 2023, 4:19 pm

It turns out that it hasn't been especially WET out there, just unusually cold. (This is true almost everywhere in Oregon and Washington this year.) Here's a map that shows the percentage of normal precipitation:

https://water.weather.gov/precip/index. ... 117&zoom=7

And another, with watershed basin data:

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/wc ... 6.3&zoom=8

MichelleM

Post by MichelleM » March 15th, 2023, 6:10 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I guess we will stick with the snake river trail.

Any other shorter trails 25ih miles you guys would suggest in Oregon? I am flying in the last week of March and have a whole week. Bummer the weather turned out this way. I still have to find something to do...I'm not cancelling my flights!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 16th, 2023, 5:26 am

some ideas on the summer and winter hikes page https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... ackpacking

you could go from one end of rogue river trail to the other (23 miles) and then back.

several ideas for hikes on the beach of the Olympic Peninsula - but that gets a lot of rain

or the Deschutes River is sort of a backup if it's rainy everywhere else

there probably won't be too many other people at any place

Brad has done a bunch of detailed trip reports on the Snake River viewforum.php?f=8

drm

Post by drm » March 16th, 2023, 6:39 pm

Hells Canyon would not normally have as much snow as the Wallowas, just a drier area. As far as microspikes, it just depends on the temps. If you are going to cross Freezeout Saddle in very cold temps, you might want them.

But the main thing you need to do is call the rangers office in Joseph and ask if the road to the trailhead is open. If it is, then your route will be hikeable, likely with snow over the saddle.

Just be aware that many trails there get infrequent maintenance and could be rough. Saddle Creek is always rough and had 3 deep fords of the creek last time I did that, which was many years ago. The route over Freezeout, down to the High Trail and along the High Trail is the best maintained because horse groups do it every year, I did that a couple years ago. Your easiest route (though far from actually easy) would be to just do an out-and-back on that. The rest of the loop will be rougher terrain, I just don't know if you want that or not. If the Snake Trail is the Snake River Trail, that should be decent. Hells Canyon is a wild and fantastic area, it's just not for beginners.

Your best alternative by far would probably be the Rogue River Trail in SW Oregon - as long as it isn't raining. Late March is a decent time for that. Never a worry about snow.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » March 16th, 2023, 7:11 pm

Rogue River Loop is about 30 miles and very scenic.

Illinois River may also be an option.

Both near Medford

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 17th, 2023, 5:48 am

I was at the Rogue River a couple months ago and the road from Galice to the Graves Creek Trailhead was blocked.

I drove from Wolf Creek to the trailhead which was fine.