Eagle Creek Backpacking Questions

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
fishy

Eagle Creek Backpacking Questions

Post by fishy » July 9th, 2008, 6:19 pm

So, my husband is taking me on my first backpacking trip for our 5 year anniversary on July 18, 19, and 20th. Yay!

We're thinking of leaving on Friday the 18th in the late afternoon or early evening (we can probably make it there by 5:30pm) since neither one of us can get the entire day off work. We'd like to hike up to high bridge that evening and then set up camp in the area past high bridge. However, from what I've been reading on here, it sounds like that area is very crowded during the summer. Anyone know how crowded it is on Friday evening? Would it be next to impossible for us to find a campsite, or is this a plausible idea? We're not opposed to hiking in the dark, but we just don't want to have to go too much farther past high bridge to find a site.

Any advice would be appreciated!

ETA: Our eventual plan is to hike all the way to seven and a half mile camp and stay there on Saturday night, hiking all the way back to the trailhead on Sunday. Of course, I also hear that seven and a half mile camp is crowded. Though, I'm hoping if we get an early start on Saturday, we can hopefully snatch something up.

If it's likely this hike is going to be ridiculously crowded, is there anything else in the immediate area that might fit the bill?

drm

Re: Eagle Creek Backpacking Questions

Post by drm » July 10th, 2008, 8:02 am

You're certainly taking your chances counting on that site. The one you're describing is called Tenas Camp, and it's the first one. There is a much smaller one right near it, but down next to the creek instead of just above it. It's maybe a mile further to Wyeast Camp, which is a bit bigger.

The standard somewhat less crowded alternative is Herman Creek. A few less people and a few more campsites. The first one is less than two miles (at the Herman/Gorton junction) up but is dry - bring your own water (which means that it is less frequently used). Casey Creek Camp is four miles up and nice.

No matter where you go on a Friday in the Gorge, you're taking your chances, so always have a Plan B.

wraithevolution

Post by wraithevolution » July 10th, 2008, 11:03 am

I don't know how far you plan on going, but if you can do it, there's a pretty sweet camp spot up farther. Halfway between the trail connection between Eagle and Tanner has a pretty nice spot. Everytime I've been through there, it's been empty. Seems like a nice spot though, worth the extra effort. Bring DEET!
A man is defined by his actions in life and by the well being of those directly effected by these actions.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 10th, 2008, 11:09 am

There are plenty of campsites further out even if Tenas camp is full - it's just a matter of how far you're filling to hike past High Bridge to find them! The elevation gain is pretty level past High Bridge, so i'd think the extra miles woudn't be too bad. You're likely to find something within a mile or so and certainly within 3 1/2 miles (of the bridge). Good luck!

todd149084

Post by todd149084 » July 10th, 2008, 2:32 pm

If you can be on the trail by 530pm, you should be able to make it to 7 1/2 mile camp before dark, assuming you're in average shape and can do 2.5 miles per hour.

Also, there are a few campsites before and after 7/12 mile camp, and even on the busiest holiday weekends, I've never been shut out (and I've spent about 20 nights there in the past 6 years )

My suggestion.... skip lunch Friday, leave an hour early ( if possible ) and get on the trail by 430... you'll have no problem setting up camp before dark and securing a decent campsite.

Caveat: do not begin hiking a trail you've never hiked before unless you're an experienced backpacker and are reasonably comfortable in uncertain situations.

hmm.. second caveat... don't forget a headlamp.. just in case you take longer than expected.

ps.. to answer your question, there are a BUNCH of campsites between high bridge and 4 1/2 mile bridge (tenas camp as well as others ) and like jeff said, elevation isn't too bad so if you had to, you could walk the extra mile or so to Wy'east camp.

good luck... with the low snow levels, looks like we're skipping indian wilderness this weekend and hitting Eagle Creek.

so if you're at 7/12 mile camp sat night.. and see two guys together... stop by and have a scotch and ice cold water with us ( I might even get ice in my scotch if we're lucky )

todd

fishy

Post by fishy » July 10th, 2008, 4:26 pm

todd149084 wrote:If you can be on the trail by 530pm, you should be able to make it to 7 1/2 mile camp before dark, assuming you're in average shape and can do 2.5 miles per hour.
Although we are both in great shape (I'm a distance runner, and we both hike regularly), we don't want to go as far as 7 1/2 mile camp on Friday, that would be Saturday night's stop. We can book it though, usually when we hike it's at a pretty good clip. The only downside is that I'm not used to carrying a giant pack, as I've never backpacked before. I carry a small day backpack when I hike, but it's not as big as my weekend backpack (which will finally get its first use).
todd149084 wrote: Also, there are a few campsites before and after 7/12 mile camp, and even on the busiest holiday weekends, I've never been shut out (and I've spent about 20 nights there in the past 6 years )
Good to know. Most likely we'll want to go 4-5 miles max on Friday evening. So we would be trying to stop not too much farther from high bridge.
todd149084 wrote: My suggestion.... skip lunch Friday, leave an hour early ( if possible ) and get on the trail by 430... you'll have no problem setting up camp before dark and securing a decent campsite.

Caveat: do not begin hiking a trail you've never hiked before unless you're an experienced backpacker and are reasonably comfortable in uncertain situations.

hmm.. second caveat... don't forget a headlamp.. just in case you take longer than expected.
DH is an experienced backpacker and has taken classes in wilderness survival and swift-water rescue (okay, hopefully we won't need skills from the latter), he spent many years backpacking down in Yosemite. We will have a topo, compass and GPS unit, and we each have a headlamp (along with a whole host of other equipment).
todd149084 wrote: ps.. to answer your question, there are a BUNCH of campsites between high bridge and 4 1/2 mile bridge (tenas camp as well as others ) and like jeff said, elevation isn't too bad so if you had to, you could walk the extra mile or so to Wy'east camp.

good luck... with the low snow levels, looks like we're skipping indian wilderness this weekend and hitting Eagle Creek.

so if you're at 7/12 mile camp sat night.. and see two guys together... stop by and have a scotch and ice cold water with us ( I might even get ice in my scotch if we're lucky )

todd
Thanks for the info! We won't be up there this weekend, unfortunately..the trip is the 18th-20th, otherwise we'd take you up on your offer...we're both pretty social. Let me know how crowded it is this weekend though and have fun!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 11th, 2008, 6:11 am

If you got a late start you could just camp at the campground at the trailhead. I believe there's another campground if you take the road down Eagle Creek under the freeway.

If 7 1/2 mile camp was your second night's destination, it would be straightforward to get there from the trailhead.

fishy

Post by fishy » July 20th, 2008, 1:47 pm

Thanks again for all the suggestions guys! We just got back from our backpacking extravaganza and it was fantastic! We had no problems finding a nice site on Friday evening (made it to camp by about 7:00pm) and Saturday we got a spectacular site next to the river around 7 1/2 mile camp. Bambi even came to visit our site and munched on the assorted vegetation...my husband and I had a good time sitting there (taking pictures) and watching her wander and eat.