McKenzie River Trail Info?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
TodF

McKenzie River Trail Info?

Post by TodF » February 26th, 2023, 11:15 am

My brother is visiting Portland 4/4 - 4/8. He liked info he saw about the McKenzie river trail, and I have never been there. It’s farther than I usually go from Portland for day hikes, and looks more popular than the places I usually like to go. He is in average shape, not a big hiker, and seems to want to see big trees.

I would love to hear people’s favorite moderate-difficulty hikes along the McKenzie river trail, and what they are like in terms of scenery, hiking difficulty, access, and number of people.

Or... should I just steer him toward other great hikes (Salmon River, Eagle Creek, etc.)?

Thanks so much!

ChrisA

Re: McKenzie River Trail Info?

Post by ChrisA » March 3rd, 2023, 6:43 am

The field guide covers this area. I am not sure if snow may be an issue this year. We stayed at Clear Lake one year in June. There is a nice trail around the lake. There is another great loop that includes Koosah and Sahalie Falls. The Tamolitch hike is nice. There were lots of folks there on a warm June day. During the week in early April probably won't have many people. I don't recall there being too much elevation gain. Some of the trail goes through lava flows with sharp rocks to walk over.

TodF

Post by TodF » March 11th, 2023, 7:08 am

Thank you!

bobcat

Post by bobcat » March 14th, 2023, 6:50 am

Keep checking snow levels. You should be able to hike the river trail between the ranger station and Belknap Springs. However, upstream there will be more snow although you may able able to do short in and outs to the waterfalls.

cmbaker91

Post by cmbaker91 » April 5th, 2023, 10:03 am

bobcat wrote:
March 14th, 2023, 6:50 am
Keep checking snow levels.
Question from a noob: how do you check snow levels? Call the ranger station? I'm considering doing this the whole MRT in the second week of May and will want to check snow levels especially on the northern sections of the trail.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 5th, 2023, 12:02 pm

https://adamschneider.net/hiking/snow_depth.html

adam's website is pretty good. Click on "usgs topo" or whatever to change the map

the way I interpret that is if it says there's any snow in a particular area, then it's probably hard to drive there and if there's a pass to walk over, if it says there's any snow then it's probably difficult to walk over

cmbaker91

Post by cmbaker91 » April 5th, 2023, 12:51 pm

Thanks for the info, Jerry. That site is great, and it links to the USFS site that it pulls from which gives you even more viewing options.

I also did it the old fashioned way and called the McKenzie River ranger station. They said there's a pretty big snow pack this year, more than normal. Lots of snow up by Clear Lake and down to Tamolitch and maybe even further down. They just got hit with even more snow yesterday. Are hoping that spring rains start soon to begin the melt off.