Mega-8 Hikes - Your Thoughts

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Aimless

Re: Mega-8 Hikes - Your Thoughts

Post by Aimless » February 20th, 2023, 9:15 am

I've used caches to extend some of my hikes to two or three weeks duration. The sensible way to leave a cache involves setting it up in a place you can drive to, but I should also note that it is illegal to leave caches within the boundary of a wilderness area.

Charley

Post by Charley » February 20th, 2023, 10:31 am

retired jerry wrote:
February 20th, 2023, 8:17 am
"but who wants that temptation to bail, anyway?"

philosophical question

if you can walk either direction along the beach, do you start walking into the wind so you can decide to turn around if it's uncomfortably windy, or do you start out walking with the wind so you won't turn around early
Ooh. That's a tough one!

I have always loved the title "Freedom of the Hills" because the irony is that the most important thing about climbing is that your moves are terribly circumscribed by the limits of strength, balance, and protective gear, with possibly fatal consequences. Sometimes, when we bind ourselves to a goal we enjoy a paradoxical sense of freedom.

I'll start out walking with the wind.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » February 20th, 2023, 12:15 pm

retired jerry wrote:
February 20th, 2023, 8:17 am

if you can walk either direction along the beach, do you start walking into the wind so you can decide to turn around if it's uncomfortably windy, or do you start out walking with the wind so you won't turn around early
If it's that windy, might as well stay put and fly a kite instead.

Sarcasm aside, start out with the wind and fight it on the return. If I start into the wind I will give up too quickly and not be as satisfied at the end... but with the wind I will go farther, postpone the miserable bits for the end of the day, and finish with a greater sense of accomplishment.
instagram: @remyodyssey

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 20th, 2023, 12:52 pm

I'm in the camp of going into the wind first so I don't risk dying on the return trip :)

I used to be more into reaching peaks, but now, I've already been to the peak so I'm more lazy, just enjoying the trip

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 20th, 2023, 12:54 pm

oh oh, I've ruined this thread. I guess the OP got some reasonable suggestions so it doesn't matter that I've derailed it.

jvangeld

Post by jvangeld » February 20th, 2023, 2:15 pm

What if you did a figure 8 in the gorge, one week in Washington, one week in Oregon? You could keep your resupply at Cascade Locks Ale House like the PCTers do. Heck, starting from Cascade Locks with that kind of timeframe could someone hike the eastern portion of the Chinook Trail one week, and then head south and hike the Timberline Trail the next week?
Jeremy VanGelder - Friends of Road 4109

drm

Post by drm » February 24th, 2023, 8:38 am

The Wallowas might be your best option here. Use the Two Pan trailhead for two loops - west and east, using trails on the east and west fork of the Lostine River. Getting 7 days on the east side would be easy - lots of classic terrain. Seven days on the west probably requires some big EG down and across the Minam River Valley, but it certainly could be done. Depends on how much mileage you cover.

Another option in the Wallowas would be the two trailheads for the forks of the Wallowa River south of Wallowa Lake.

Both of these trailheads are very crowded at peak season and parking can be an issue if you arrive on the weekend.

trekkinghigher

Post by trekkinghigher » February 26th, 2023, 7:13 pm

Creating two 50-60 mile loops in the Eagle Cap Wilderness is possible. The Two Pan Trailhead is great for this. One route using the Minam Lake Trail going South and West before returning mostly in a lollipop. The second route goes south and east on the East Fork trail.

Another idea is to spend a week in the Eagle Cap and another week doing the Grand Sawtooth loop and just drive from trailhead to trailhead in between.
See details for my non-Oregon hikes at https://trekkinghigher.com