Wygant via Mitchell Point Drive

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Campallen

Wygant via Mitchell Point Drive

Post by Campallen » January 20th, 2023, 10:35 am

Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I know that exit 54 is still closed, but it looks like that network of trails to Wygant can be accessed from the nearby trailhead on Mitchell Point Drive, which goes by the Gorge Retreat summer camp.

Is this truly the case, or will I be crossing private property, parking where I am unwanted, or accessing trail that is actually closed?

And if anyone knows, how much mileage would this add to a Wygant meadow/peak hike?

Thanks in advance!

adamschneider

Re: Wygant via Mitchell Point Drive

Post by adamschneider » January 20th, 2023, 10:46 am

Where is there a trailhead on Mitchell Point Drive?

lordgares

Post by lordgares » January 20th, 2023, 3:18 pm

You could feasibly get to the Mitchell Point trails from Post Canyon and down the powerline access road. That being said I don't have the foggiest idea what current conditions are nor how accessible the Wygant trail is with the construction on the HRCH trail going on.
“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”
― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

Campallen

Post by Campallen » January 20th, 2023, 4:18 pm

lordgares

Post by lordgares » January 20th, 2023, 4:41 pm

That isn't a trailhead, it's a private access road on private property. I don't know how the landowners would feel about someone crossing their property.
“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”
― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » January 20th, 2023, 5:28 pm

lordgares wrote:
January 20th, 2023, 4:41 pm
That isn't a trailhead, it's a private access road on private property. I don't know how the landowners would feel about someone crossing their property.
Yeah, that's weird that Google shows it as a trail. It's a road, or rather a driveway. I'll submit an error report to Google Maps.

You should be able to get to Mitchell Point from Post Canyon Road, assuming the road is clear. Wygant, maybe not.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 20th, 2023, 6:55 pm

I tried to access the powerline road a few years ago via that private road but the many no trespassing signs deterred me.

In any event, even via Post Canyon Rd., once down the powerline road and then to the Mitchell TH, you would enter a closed construction area and you would technically be trespassing. I've driven by there several times in the past year or so and it's a very busy construction area. The new Mitchel Point tunnel appears finished, BTW.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Campallen

Post by Campallen » January 21st, 2023, 10:47 am

lordgares wrote:
January 20th, 2023, 4:41 pm
Not very happy, I imagine, which is why I ask.
I thought it was possible that the summer camp leases property from a government agency, allowing access in the off season.
The new Mitchel Point tunnel appears finished, BTW.
I think it was originally slated to open this year, but according to ODOT, it is now expected to open in 2024.