Target shooting near McGee Creek TH

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
trailmasterp

Target shooting near McGee Creek TH

Post by trailmasterp » September 27th, 2022, 3:14 am

Just a heads up for anyone headed up to the McGee Creek Trailhead on Mt. Hood... A friend and I were up at the trailhead around 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 24, when we heard a significant number (50+) of gunshots in the area. We hiked up the McGee Creek Trail for a half-mile or so toward the Timberline Trail, but noticed the gunshots were getting louder and sounded like they were coming from the direction we were headed. Some other folks had decided to turn around and warned us that there were shooters further up. We then also turned around and headed over to Top Spur TH with the masses (our overnight destination was Elk Cove). When we passed the McGee Creek-Timberline Trail junction around 11:00 a.m. on our way out the next day, we again heard some gunshots. At both trailheads, posted fire restrictions very clearly prohibit target shooting. Even outside of fire season, though, it seems like a particularly bad place for target shooting with several popular hiking trails in the immediate area. I reported everything to Forest Service law enforcement. Stay safe out there!

justpeachy

Re: Target shooting near McGee Creek TH

Post by justpeachy » September 27th, 2022, 5:57 am

Ugh, how frustrating and scary. It's unusual to find target shooters away from roads.

The Forest Service has a whole page about shooting in national forests. Shooting near a trail is a definite no-no.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 27th, 2022, 6:15 am

Usually, shooters are closer to Lolo Pass Rd?

When I hike around in the mountains above there, Zigzag ridge or whatever, I often hear target shooters down there

I guess those target shooters don't follow the rules :)

Yeah, very obnoxious

trailmasterp

Post by trailmasterp » September 27th, 2022, 7:19 am

I also thought they would have chosen a parking area off Lolo Pass Rd. It made me wonder whether they were trying to make a point, which was a factor in our decision to drive to the other TH.

There is a pretty rough section of road that goes further up from the main parking area at the McGee Creek TH. I'm not sure what is up that road, but some folks in higher-clearance vehicles were driving down from there and mentioned the shooting as their reason for taking off. It sounded like that was where the shooters were located. It's a pity people can't just follow the rules so everyone can enjoy our public lands safely.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 27th, 2022, 9:23 am

maybe they're going to a place less likely to be patrolled by law enforcement

although that's tough when they're shooting - easy to hear and find where they're at

maybe they should have designated places where shooting is allowed. That are safe for all. Except, that would probably open FS to liability...

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » September 27th, 2022, 2:28 pm

Last I saw there was supposed to be both a campfire ban AND a shooting ban due to the dry conditions.....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 27th, 2022, 2:47 pm

if they're already breaking the shooting ban, I don't think they'd care if it was also breaking a fire ban

they probably built a campfire just for the hell of it :)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 27th, 2022, 4:30 pm

If my personal experience counts for anything, I see shooters getting more aggressive, confrontational, and dangerous. Specifically, I see shooters setting up firing ranges on roads (i.e. they set up target on road, walk back the road, and fire from the road to the road). I guess the thinking is that a long linear clearing (like a road) is an ideal place to shoot, so why not? Also, I know that some of them claim that their shooting rights are just as important as other recreational uses. I can't see this ending well.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » September 27th, 2022, 7:17 pm

Traffic lights are tyranny. Those are public roads and I have just as much right to drive through that intersection as anyone else. :roll:

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » September 28th, 2022, 10:02 am

justpeachy wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 5:57 am
The Forest Service has a whole page about shooting in national forests. Shooting near a trail is a definite no-no.
That page says nothing about trails but here is one that does.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mthood/r ... rdb5422894