Question about road 240 to Frazier Turnaround

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
matimeo

Question about road 240 to Frazier Turnaround

Post by matimeo » September 19th, 2022, 9:57 am

So I found a past post about the conditions of this road (viewtopic.php?t=21816), and just had a specific question about how narrow and overgrown the road currently is. I have a new F350 that is going to get some scratches eventually, but it's a big truck and I was wondering just how scratched up it is going to get driving down there. We usually hike in from Shellrock Trailhead, but since I have a truck now we thought we might go up and explore Indian Ridge from Frazier Turnaround on one of these early fall weekends before the snow hits. I've seen Ford F series and similar sized trucks up there before, but never paid much attention to how torn up they looked.
Thoughts on how much damage I'm going to do? Should I wait until I pay off the truck?

RobFromRedland

Re: Question about road 240 to Frazier Turnaround

Post by RobFromRedland » September 19th, 2022, 12:29 pm

matimeo wrote:
September 19th, 2022, 9:57 am
So I found a past post about the conditions of this road (viewtopic.php?t=21816), and just had a specific question about how narrow and overgrown the road currently is. I have a new F350 that is going to get some scratches eventually, but it's a big truck and I was wondering just how scratched up it is going to get driving down there. We usually hike in from Shellrock Trailhead, but since I have a truck now we thought we might go up and explore Indian Ridge from Frazier Turnaround on one of these early fall weekends before the snow hits. I've seen Ford F series and similar sized trucks up there before, but never paid much attention to how torn up they looked.
Thoughts on how much damage I'm going to do? Should I wait until I pay off the truck?
With a full size truck you will definitely be getting some pinstriping driving on that road. I have a 2019 Ranger and it is tight and even with that, I get some scraping on that road. Every year it seems to get a little bit worse, although I haven't been up there this year yet.

Just hope you don't meet someone on that road - the options to pass are few and far between. Someone will be doing a lot of backing up most likely. And with a full size, it will be even worse.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

dirtman

Re: Question about road 240 to Frazier Turnaround

Post by dirtman » September 20th, 2022, 2:58 pm

I find that parking below on 130, which is easily driven to from Hideaway, is so much easier. It is but a quarter mile with about 400 ft elevation gain to get to Frazier Turnaround...

http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYX ... IDJh7uhCww