overnight backpacking near Mt. Hood in late Sept

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Jett Powered

overnight backpacking near Mt. Hood in late Sept

Post by Jett Powered » September 11th, 2022, 12:28 pm

I've done a lot of camping over the years but have never really been backpacking. So I'm planning a first 'easy' backpacking trek to see how my body holds up. After reading through all the 5-10 mile hikes tagged Mt. Hood and Backpacking, I'm ready to ask for your guidance and recommendations.

Not sure what kind of distance I can expect to cover. In my day job is not unusual for me to walk 4-7 miles a day, often carrying a heavy backpack full of tools. I should actually weight it! At the same time I have no desire to prove anything on my first trip.

It'd be nice to do a larger chunk the first day then have an easy 2nd day. So for example, hike 7 miles in, turn around and hike 2 miles back. Then on the second day I'd only have to hike 5 miles back to the car.
  • Maximum 2.5 hour drive from Portland. The shorter the drive the better.
  • Secluded/un-crowded. I'm an introvert who works with people all day. So when I go camping I prefer to be in solitude.
  • Accessible with low-clearance vehicle. I'm happy to drive down a dirt/gravel road for a few miles but I just have a normal car.
  • I'm not afraid of some elevation gain.
  • I love a good view but would trade it for solitude.

Gumjuwac-Badget Lake Loop is at the top of the list.
Boulder Lakes Loop Kinda short, might be more populated?
East ZigZag from Devil Canyon?

I don't need to do a whole trail. What longer trails should I consider doing a section of?

retired jerry

Re: overnight backpacking near Mt. Hood in late Sept

Post by retired jerry » September 11th, 2022, 2:45 pm

I like to go up higher, like on Mt Hood, in September, before the snows close it off

East Zigzag is good although there are a lot of day hikers

Cairn Basin/McNeil Point from Top Spur

Paradise Park from Timberline Lodge

Yocum Ridge from Ramona Falls trailhead

but there are other people to all of those. I'm not so good finding solitude. But late September the crowds start thinning.

and you have to look at weather reports. If a big rainstorm blows through it could be unpleasant.

Badger Lake is a bit east so better in bad weather. Fewer people there. Lots of campsites off the trail so even if there are a few other people walking on the trail it's not so bad.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » September 11th, 2022, 3:50 pm

These are not near mt hood specifically, but when I think about “intro to backpacking” hikes these come to mind:

Serene Lake loop - Roaring River Wilderness - 12 miles RT.
Green River / Goat Mountain - North of mount saint helens. Can be loop or just out and back to Deadman’s Lake.
Salmon River - out and back, relatively flat. Tons of campsites along the first two miles.

If you want something a bit more adventurous, hike mt hood from Top Spur trailhead to Cairn Basin, with base camp side trip to (and above) McNeil Point.

drm

Post by drm » September 11th, 2022, 5:35 pm

Elk Meadows kind of fits that longer first day plan. After setting up camp, you could go up and see Gnarl Ridge. But I think it's only 3 miles to Elk Meadows?

dirtman

Post by dirtman » September 12th, 2022, 3:50 pm

For more solitude, I would prefer the pine/fir transition area. Tygh Creek, Fifteen Mile Creek, Eight Mile Creek, Fret Creek, Oval Lake, etc..

walrus

Post by walrus » September 12th, 2022, 7:38 pm

If you're into raptors, that would be a perfect time to go to Boulder Lake and day hike up to Bonney Butte to take in the migration - if you wait around long enough, you might get to meet one of the birds they've banded.

But if you want to do a long in and a short out, my vote would be to take Vista Ridge up through Eden Park and Cairn Basin and camp in Wy'East Basin.

Edit: both of these options are medium solitude.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 13th, 2022, 8:20 am

I did the East Zigzag hike from the south a few weeks ago and that's a nice hike. It's only 3.5 miles to Cast Lake from that trailhead, though, and it sounds like you'd want more mileage. There is a campsite just below the summit of East Zigzag to the west, but there's no water up there. Also, the Burnt Lake / East Zigzag / Cast Lake area gets pretty busy on weekends.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 13th, 2022, 9:07 am

I've camped at that site just west of East Zigzag. Nice views. You can see Portland lights at night. Or fireworks on July 4...

Carry water from the stream opposite Cast Lake about 0.5 mile west of East Zigzag, or the stream off the trail down to Burnt Lake, about 0.5 miles from East Zigzag

Jett Powered

Post by Jett Powered » September 13th, 2022, 9:48 am

Thank you all for the fantastic suggestions! I'm now obsessively looking at maps, reading trip reports and trail descriptions, and of course reading about gear. By the time I actually get out there I'll probably have spent 200+ hours planning for a 35 hour trek. :D

As part of my attempt to find solitude I'm planning to be out there on a Thursday and Friday.