Goat Rocks route advice?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
walrus

Re: Goat Rocks route advice?

Post by walrus » September 7th, 2022, 7:18 pm

All true. I prefer Jordan Basin or the campsite with all the rock chairs down past the waterfall.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 8th, 2022, 6:03 am

yeah, I like the rock chairs

I'm sure some people are bothered because humans moved those rocks around :)

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » September 25th, 2022, 5:14 pm

We just returned from Goat Rocks about 10 days ago. We started at the Snowgrass trailhead (it's about 18 miles down a US Forest Service road which is in very good condition) and hiked to Alpine Camp (no water, but there's some down the trail to Lilly Basin), McCall Basin (reliable water there and a fair number of camp sites) and then to Shoe Lake.

Due to the relative proximity of Alpine to the trailhead, there was "competition" for campsites with easy access to the (small) stream. If you're not familiar with the section of the PCT known as "The Knife", it's challenging and very windy: something to consider as it's ~9 miles from Lilly to McCall.

McCall Basin is a relatively popular horse camp. While there was nobody there when we arrived, there was abundant evidence of recent equine traffic in the area. It's ~0.6 mile from the PCT to the Basin campsites.

The hike to Shoe Lake is really nice (and easy). No camping allowed there and it's in relatively close proximity to another "drive-in" access point.

In addition, consider that there was a major fire in the area recently. Parts of the PCT were closed, but I don't know the current status.

So, Goat Rocks is a fantastic area and it's highly recommended (by me). It's not too ambitious or challenging but it's accessible and it's one of my favorite destinations.

Caveat: Last year, we entered via Lilly Basin. There was one section that was best navigated with a 4WD with a short wheelbase.

Have fun!

Keith

erbombla

Post by erbombla » September 25th, 2022, 8:25 pm

I would recommend going counter-clockwise. If you start at Walupt Lake campground, it's about 4.3 miles to Sheep Lake. There are some decent campsites at Sheep Lake. It shouldn't be very crowded. Everyone wants to camp at Goat Lake. The downside is you have to climb up Cispus Pass. That section of the PCT is very scenic. Just be prepared for variable weather. The area is in its own microclimate and can change quickly.

Latherdome

Post by Latherdome » October 2nd, 2022, 5:31 pm

Thanks all. We had an absolutely great hike: https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fb ... 1270325605

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 2nd, 2022, 7:54 pm

Wow, Goat Lake is crowded now? I've never seen anybody there. It's probably been 20+ years though. And I visited very early/late season.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 3rd, 2022, 9:51 am

Thanks for the TR, photos and video! Nicely done.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 3rd, 2022, 10:00 am

Chip Down wrote:
October 2nd, 2022, 7:54 pm
Wow, Goat Lake is crowded now? I've never seen anybody there. It's probably been 20+ years though. And I visited very early/late season.
It's been a couple of years since I was up there, and I was surprised by how many people I saw. Maybe a quarter of those I saw were through hikers and the rest were day hikers or campers. I went in from the Snowgrass TH and there must have been 50 cars there!

US population has increased by about half again since I started most of my hiking (1978) but it appears there are many times more people out on the trails than in the past.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 3rd, 2022, 11:44 am

yeah, Snowgrass Flat trailhead to Snowgrass Flat and Cispus Basin is pretty crowded in my experience

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » October 6th, 2022, 2:11 pm

Last year, Goat Lake was very crowded and there was zero privacy. This year (September) Alpine Camp was very crowded this year and any campsite(s) with immediate water access were occupied by about 4:00PM. Nobody was camped at McCall Basin. It's a spectacular area, despite the crowds.