Access to Shellrock Lake Trailhead

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
matimeo

Access to Shellrock Lake Trailhead

Post by matimeo » August 20th, 2022, 6:09 am

If I am reading the following site correctly, forest road 4630 is closed from highway 224 to Harriet Lake.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mthood/f ... eprd835619

I'm taking my kids to hike the rock lakes loop this coming week, starting at the Shellrock Lake Trailhead. From Portland I'm wondering if I'll have to take highway 26 and go around Timothy Lake and come from the east. Has anyone accessed the trailhead recently, and if so, how did you get there? Thanks!

RobFromRedland

Re: Access to Shellrock Lake Trailhead

Post by RobFromRedland » August 20th, 2022, 6:28 am

Yes, it will be a long drive around. Normally you'd take 224 to 57 to 58 to 5830 but 57 is still closed - if it were open, you could take 4630, but that is a good bit of gravel road driving where the other roads are all paved.

The detour will add quite a bit of time to your trip - 26 to 42 to 4220 to 2660 to 58 to 5830.

I've been by there a couple of times since the fires.

Just be prepared for LOTS of bugs - I've been surprised at how many bugs are still present up higher this year. I'm sure the Rock Lakes basin is going to have pretty thick bugs still.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

matimeo

Post by matimeo » August 20th, 2022, 2:49 pm

RobFromRedland wrote:
August 20th, 2022, 6:28 am
Yes, it will be a long drive around. Normally you'd take 224 to 57 to 58 to 5830 but 57 is still closed - if it were open, you could take 4630, but that is a good bit of gravel road driving where the other roads are all paved.

The detour will add quite a bit of time to your trip - 26 to 42 to 4220 to 2660 to 58 to 5830.

I've been by there a couple of times since the fires.

Just be prepared for LOTS of bugs - I've been surprised at how many bugs are still present up higher this year. I'm sure the Rock Lakes basin is going to have pretty thick bugs still.
Thanks, that is super helpful information. I've never driven on 5830. Can I make it in a minivan?

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » August 20th, 2022, 4:04 pm

5830 is in pretty good shape - kind of "normal" FS gravel road I'd say - a few potholes here and there but nothing terrible.

Should be doable in a minivan I'd say.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson