South Matthieu Lake on a Wednesday...

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Ore-Ida

South Matthieu Lake on a Wednesday...

Post by Ore-Ida » August 17th, 2022, 8:21 am

We're doing a modified loop around the Three Sisters next week (did the whole loop in 2014; calling this one the "highlight reel" and picking up some country we haven't seen yet. Anyway, the way it's working out it makes the most sense to camp in the Matthieu Lakes area, which we will be approaching from the southeast. The last time we did this, we ended up at Yapoah Lake, which we disliked at the time and based on what I've read recently seems to have only--ahem--"improved."

I know that there are designated sites at Matthieu Lakes, so my question to the group: how early do I need to be there on a Wednesday to get a site? I know the area is popular, but are my chances pretty good mid-week? And, if not, any suggestions on where else to camp? We'll be pushing about 12 miles by the time we get there so we'll need to be stopping. (I know, to some of you that won't seem that far, but it's far enough for us! 😅)

Thanks!

retired jerry

Re: South Matthieu Lake on a Wednesday...

Post by retired jerry » August 17th, 2022, 8:31 am

south and east of South Matthieu Lake, outside of the restricted area, there are lot's of places you could camp.

I might prefer that even if there were designated sites at South Matthieu. Fewer people and noise.

Get water from South Matthieu (which is warm and contaminated by humans and dog).