Mosquitos still bad in Indian Heaven?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
rhettlawrence

Mosquitos still bad in Indian Heaven?

Post by rhettlawrence » August 8th, 2022, 6:33 pm

Am I fooling myself that because it's past July that the skeeters won't be so bad in Indian Heaven Wilderness? I was thinking about taking my 16YO daughter up there for a quick and easy backpacking weekend this coming weekend, but am concerned that the bugs haven't dispersed yet. Anyone up in the area this week or this past weekend?

drm

Re: Mosquitos still bad in Indian Heaven?

Post by drm » August 9th, 2022, 6:36 am

Everybody is afraid to even go and find out. The late snow melt this year probably means they will be bad well into August, but maybe the incessant heat waves will change that. You might try to find a PCT blog because they have to go through there. I gave a ride to a PCTer off road 23, and he had just come from IH and said they were "horrific." But that was two weeks ago.

An alternative easy backpack next to water without bugs would be the Lewis River Trail.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » August 9th, 2022, 9:24 am

I have not been in Indian Heaven this summer. I was close at South Prairie about a month ago. Evening brought a punishing wave of mosquitoes, no surprise.

For a more relevant reference, I can vividly remember on one early August day 10 years ago setting out on the East Crater trail to go backpacking with my son and getting chased away within the first mile. That's after three separate applications of mosquito repellent that worked well for about 30 seconds and hardly at all after that. I only had a tiny bottle. I needed gallons.

So I'm one of those afraid people. I'm also pretty sure you won't escape mosquitoes if you go now. It's been a bad mosquito year in many places I've hiked this summer.

rhettlawrence

Post by rhettlawrence » August 10th, 2022, 7:08 am

OK - thanks. I think y'all have persuaded me it's too risky to try to get up there this early in the season!

Walkin' Fool

Post by Walkin' Fool » August 11th, 2022, 11:53 am

I have the FarOut App (formerly GutHook), and in the past few days several thru-hikers have commented about the hellacious mosquitoes and flies in I.H. I'd give it a few weeks!

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » September 5th, 2022, 6:53 am

Here it is September and I'll ask the most popular FAQ: Does anybody have any recent Indian Heaven mosquito information?

In past years, September was a reliably safe month but this year the little devils have been much worse. I'm planning a short backpack trip and wanna pack light with no tent.

Thanks - JJS

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 5th, 2022, 7:11 am

bring head net just in case

very few mosquitoes on Mt Hood a couple days ago. or flies.

one morning I kept having to spoon out bugs out of my coffee but they didn't bite me

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 5th, 2022, 9:16 am

We hiked in from the East Crater TH yesterday, Sept. 4th, passing by Junction Lake. I did a loop around the rim of East Crater and not even one mosquito! Kel went on to do a loop around Clear Lake and she didn't see any either.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » September 5th, 2022, 9:38 am

Don Nelsen wrote:
September 5th, 2022, 9:16 am
We hiked in from the East Crater TH yesterday, Sept. 4th, passing by Junction Lake. I did a loop around the rim of East Crater and not even one mosquito! Kel went on to do a loop around Clear Lake and she didn't see any either.
Thanks for the good and recent news!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 5th, 2022, 10:35 am

johnspeth wrote:
September 5th, 2022, 9:38 am
Don Nelsen wrote:
September 5th, 2022, 9:16 am
Thanks for the good and recent news!
I should add: We were there mid-day, 11:15 to 5:00. Probably the least likely time for them to be out.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller