Road conditions request

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
keithcomess

Road conditions request

Post by keithcomess » August 6th, 2022, 12:30 pm

I'm going to Goat Rocks again this year (early September this time) and I no longer have my 4WD. Is Forest Service Road 2160 to Walupt Lake Campground (joins 121A near the trail head) passable for a low-clearance, 2WD car (e.g., a Mini Cooper)? I'll leave from Packwood and hope to park the car at the lake, heading to Shoe Lake and McCall Basin.

Any information on Forest roads 21, 23 and 25 (they lead to 2160) also will be useful.

The US Forest Service doesn't answer the phone (or respond to messages). The Washington Gazetteer and online searches aren't too enlightening. So, any specific info will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Keith

retired jerry

Re: Road conditions request

Post by retired jerry » August 6th, 2022, 12:51 pm

A couple weeks ago I did 21 from hwy 12 to Snowgrass Flat trailhead - not too bad. Some potholes and washboarding. I would think almost any vehicle would work, but I drove a 2WD Tacoma pickup.

Then I did 21 to 2160. I drove about a mile down 2160 towards Walupt Lake. It's paved. Weird that that road is paved when it's surrounded by gravel roads.

21 has a total of about 15 miles of gravel, but is paved starting at about Adams Fork campground

Then I did 21 to 23, and then 23 to Trout Lake. 23 has about 15 miles unpaved around the summit at Takhlakh campground. It's about the same as the unpaved portion of 21.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » August 6th, 2022, 10:06 pm

You’d be surprised where a Mini can get you. Back when I had mine it got to some trailheads with very questionable access. The short wheelbase plus a tiny bit more clearance than other cars will get you where you need to go as long as you’re careful and take it slow… I’d say it can go to 90%+ of the trailheads an Outback could make it to. There’s a reason they use the Mini on the rally circuit. Your biggest issue will be rocks on low profile tires… if there are a lot of larger rocks take it really easy.

Summer 2016 I drove the length of 2160 in my Mini with no issue, just a couple slower spots where the road bed had eroded away (further south near Divide Camp TH). That was a few years ago but I’m sure it’s similar still. 21/23 are usually adequately maintained in the gravel bits, and the Mini will float right over the washboards if you keep the speed up a little. Again, rally car. The most dangerous are the rogue potholes in the shade on the paved sections, just keep an eye out.
instagram: @remyodyssey

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 7th, 2022, 5:30 am

that's 2329. The road from Takhlakh Lake to Divide Camp and Killen Creek. I just did that also. In my pickup. That's worse than 21, 23, or 2150 to snowgrass flat

Amazing you could do those in a mini

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » August 7th, 2022, 11:10 am

Thanks for the info!!

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » August 7th, 2022, 3:47 pm

retired jerry wrote:
August 7th, 2022, 5:30 am
that's 2329. The road from Takhlakh Lake to Divide Camp and Killen Creek.
Ah, yes. I’m getting the four-numbered ones mixed up. :lol:

I have a GTI now and although it has even better ground clearance (marginally), the longer wheelbase gets me in more trouble on rough stuff. But I did get it up to the Twin Lakes TH in the Elkhorns last year. That’s about the worst road I could take my car on… had to get out and scout the best route multiple times.
instagram: @remyodyssey

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » August 9th, 2022, 4:56 pm

The Cowlitz Ranger District Office called me yesterday. The ranger reported the roads are "passable" with a 2WD but are very washboarded and there are a few major (in unexpected locations) potholes. In short, use a car at your own risk.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 10th, 2022, 5:23 am

I dunno, I drove a pickup but I think a regular car would be fine if you go slow

yeah, unexpected large potholes

If your windows are dirty and/or the sun is at a worse angle it's harder to see those pot holes