Rock Lakes?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
PalmersHike

Rock Lakes?

Post by PalmersHike » July 21st, 2022, 10:50 am

Hey everyone, just looking for some input and thoughts on doing a 3 night camp at one of the 3 Rock Lakes... A few specific questions for anyone who has been before:

- How is the hike in?
- Which of the three would be best for a 3 night stay?
- Campsite conditions? (firepit, etc?)
- How busy are the sites usually? (we are going to go midweek, stay Tues/Wed/Thurs nights)
- Anything else to know about the conditions (wildlife concerns? fishing good? mosquitos?) or anything else you think I should know?

We are thinking of arriving early at the parking and getting to Middle Rock Lake by mid-to-late morning. Planning to set up camp and fish, etc, and leave on Friday morning.

Thanks for any advice or tips you fine folks can offer!

RobFromRedland

Re: Rock Lakes?

Post by RobFromRedland » July 21st, 2022, 11:45 am

Bugs will be TERRIBLE this time of year. I was there one year in July and the bugs literally had swarms so thick the air was black. I would highly recommend bringing a head net. I would say Serene Lake has the nicest campsites. At Serene Lake there is (or at least used to be) a picnic table - I don't believe any of the sites have fire rings, but there are rock rings.

Hopefully you know that the road into the trailhead is extremely rough and narrow. I've seen passenger vehicles make it, but I would definitely not recommend it. If you meet someone on the road there are limited places to pass as well. An alternate entry point is to go to the Shellrock Lake trailhead, which is easily driveable. The downside is that it adds about a mile and a half and about 1500' of elevation to the hike.

The area gets somewhat busy (depends on your definition of busy) in the summer but going mid week you should most likely have no problem getting a site.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

PalmersHike

Post by PalmersHike » July 21st, 2022, 11:49 am

Super super helpful, thank you so much!

longboard16

Post by longboard16 » July 21st, 2022, 5:39 pm

It has been a few years but I’ve been to all three lakes a few times for day hikes. Agreed the road is rough but the trail to Lower and Middle is easy. One of the times I carried in float tube, waders and fins to fish. Best fishing lake was Middle. Upper Lake as I recall was just a bushwhack from the far end of Middle, although I could have just missed the trail. Upper was probably the second best lake of the three and also the deepest, with the Lower lake being the shallowest. The shorelines of Middle and Upper are brushy but if your not fly fishing, which I was and thus the float tube, you should be able to find casting spots.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » July 25th, 2022, 8:49 am

This is a great autumn hike, but not a good hike for the early summer due to the bugs. The Middle Lake is the best place for campsites, but you may also consider Serene Lake. Its the biggest of the four in this newly-created wilderness.