Tiffany Mountain (Okanogan Highlands, Washington)

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
adamschneider

Tiffany Mountain (Okanogan Highlands, Washington)

Post by adamschneider » July 18th, 2022, 8:14 pm

Anyone ever been up to the Tiffany Mountain area in Colville National Forest? (It's north of Winthrop, northwest of Omak, and east of Pasayten Wilderness.) I'm heading up there this week to look for wildflowers, so if you have any hot tips, I'm listening.

BigBear

Re: Tiffany Mountain (Okanogan Highlands, Washington)

Post by BigBear » July 19th, 2022, 8:10 am

I hiked Tiffany Mountain on July 31, 2012. Like Black Lake (which I hike to two days later), they had been recently impacted by forest fires. No shade and quite a bit in wildflowers and open views (Tiffany). I suspect the vegetation has started to come back after 10 years. Even with no shade, both hikes were good destinations for a break/lunch.

I had day-hiked for a week in the North Cascades four times and 2012 had been my most-recent visit.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » July 20th, 2022, 1:16 pm

I thought about the other hikes I've done in this area which may be "hot tips"

First, buy the book "Don't Waste Your Time Hiking in the North Cascades." It's out of print (because of the title), but the premise is well reasoned: it's a ranking by the author of the 100 summer hikes and 100 shoulder-season hikes. The idea is that you don't waste your time with #91-#100 but instead of spend it with #1-#10. I disagree a bit with how high some of the hikes are ranked (some should be 10 positions higher or lower than others) but it generally steers you int he right direction.

On the eastside routes I've hiked (the top and bottom 3):

The Maple Pass Loop is one of my all-time favorite hikes. Snow cornices may be a concern.

Cutthroat Pass is another favorite. The more scenic side is the Rainy Pass side because the two miles in tot he lake from the east is just an okay walk. As a car shuttle its good.

Twisp Pass is a hike I've done a number of times, and a short one that good for a quickie is Blue Lake via Washington Pass.

Ones to avoid: Crater Lakes, Lost Creek and Windy Pass.

Crater Lakes has three parking lots (motorcycles, horses & hikers) which is accessed by a fairly steep, narrow road to get to this surprisingly large parking area. My only other memory: the mosquitoes.

Lost Creek. Not a bad hike, but you could have stayed at home and done one around here.

Windy Pass. After a mile, you've pretty much seen all this hike has to offer as it rolls northbound across the ridge. It also has the terrible turn on the road where you are looking straight down as you drive (sometimes blocked by rockfall).

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 25th, 2022, 9:20 am

I parked my car at Tiffany Springs Campground and then rode my bike about 3.5 miles to the Freezeout Ridge Trailhead. I went up the Freezeout Ridge Trail to the summit (2.2 miles), then went down the long way over Honeymoon Pass and Tiffany Lake (5 miles).

The wildflowers were much more interesting on the long descent route than on Freezeout Ridge, but in some places east of the lake — and especially east of Honeymoon Pass — the trail was nearly invisible. Apparently no one ever hikes over there.

The next day, I drove north and east around the back side of Tiffany Mountain to Salmon Meadows on Forest Road 3820, and that road was terrible.

The day after that, I went to Harts Pass and Tatie Peak (on the east edge of the North Cascades), and that was fantastic.