Transit to Timberline, etc.

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
JBG

Transit to Timberline, etc.

Post by JBG » June 29th, 2022, 8:02 pm

Gas is so insane right now I was looking online for transit options to Timberline Lodge. I'm hoping to hike the timberline trail at least a couple of times this summer, as well as do some other hiking in the area (starting in August). We live in McMinnville, so we could drive to Hillsboro and grab the Blue Line out to Gresham, and it looks like there is bus service to Sandy and then via the Mt Hood Express. It looks like the trip from here would be about 6 hours, a good half a day, but cost about $6 - so time vs. money clearly.
https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Portland/T ... r/Tram-bus

I was wondering if anyone had every used these at all and what the experience was like, and what other hiking destinations are worth getting to.

AlpenGlowHiker

Re: Transit to Timberline, etc.

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » June 30th, 2022, 4:11 am

I did that a few years back.

It was a pretty good experience, I'd say the trickiest was doing the transfer at Sandy; however, if you have good directions and I suspect Rome2Rio does, it wasn't bad at all.

We did have a layover in Sandy, but we took the opportunity to eat a hot meal at one of the Cafe's nearby.

As far as any other trails nearby, I'd have to defer to others, but you have the Timberline trail right there, and it will lead to several other trails if you choose not to continue around the mountain.

How many days do you have, and are you looking for a continuous trip in nature, or basing out of Timberline for day hikes?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 30th, 2022, 4:45 am

You can get to the gorge by transit.

If you can get to Cascade Locks, there are lots of good trails from there, e.g. up PCT, down Eagle Creek

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 30th, 2022, 10:48 am

I can't vouch for the service but check this out.
https://www.mthoodexpress.com/
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » June 30th, 2022, 11:43 am

Waffle Stomper wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 10:48 am
I can't vouch for the service but check this out.
https://www.mthoodexpress.com/
I can vouch. Mt Hood Express is simply transit between Sandy and Timberline. They run on time (weather/traffic dependent) and it costs $2. They have seven runs per day so you need to time it right to avoid long waits.

JBG

Post by JBG » June 30th, 2022, 7:34 pm

Thanks for all the info, and good to hear from people who've used it. Sets my mind at ease a bit.
@AlpenGlowHiker I have a fairly flexible schedule this summer, so my plan would be to go up maybe Mon, do the Timberline trail and return Wed or Thurs. I'd hope to do it a few times. My goal is to be able to do it in 2 days by the end of summer.

Last year I did the PCT from Timberline to the Columbia - so this year I might try and do four or five days going south from Timberline as well. I could probably get a pick up on that trip, but I'd like to see about taking transit to save on multiple trips.

Jerry - thanks for the tip on transit in the gorge. Hadn't even thought of that so I'll check it out.

Openminded2

Post by Openminded2 » July 2nd, 2022, 9:32 pm

Be sure to check in with current trail conditions. Was up at the south facing timberline lodge yesterday and there was a lot of snow, so much that I am sure the trail is obscured. Looking forward to paradise park, but surely it isn’t yet ready.

I took the CAT bus last month to cascade locks from Gateway. Fast and efficient. Great program. Consider a bike to get you the miles between cascade locks and eagle creek trailhead if you do that one.
It can’t be anything that a cup of tea won’t help

JBG

Post by JBG » July 3rd, 2022, 2:21 pm

@Openminded2. I figured as much. I'm headed to the UK soon, returning in August, so it'll at least be mid-Aug before I start making plans. I've never gotten into snow shoeing, so I'll be patient. Hopefully there will be a bigger window than just a few weeks up there :D. I ran into a guy yesterday doing a training hike for a SOBO PCT - he was waiting for the snow too. Thanks for the update!