Mule Peak Eagle Cap Wilderness

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
MtnHiker

Mule Peak Eagle Cap Wilderness

Post by MtnHiker » June 29th, 2022, 4:33 pm

Anybody been there recently? The FS reports that the trail was last cleared by their crews in 2010...

backcracker

Re: Mule Peak Eagle Cap Wilderness

Post by backcracker » June 30th, 2022, 8:01 pm

What trail head are you coming in on? I went in on a day hike off Buck Creek on July 19th, 2020 headed to Tombstone Lake and looking over at Sand Pass from Burger Pass it was impassable due to snow. It may be short but is very steep and sandy, faces North, thus holds snow. I also went in off Buck Creek to Tombstone on July 16th, 2017 and Sand Pass was clear of snow. On August 4th, 2019 went in off Buck Creek headed to Tombstone Lake and detoured due to Granite Gulch fire and headed to Mule Point Lookout looping back which finally brings me to the blowdowns. The only blow downs where on the backside (South) trail 1912 where it intersects and briefly follows Sand Creek, it was a mess. But if you have no GPS just look upwards towards the pass and follow the ravine and you'll pick up the trail. As this was a very late snow pack this year I'd wait a few more weeks if coming from Buck Creek TH.

MtnHiker

Re: Mule Peak Eagle Cap Wilderness

Post by MtnHiker » July 3rd, 2022, 9:46 am

Good Morning! Thanks for the info. I was planning on starting up #1912 but was worried about the blowdowns. I am now thinking Buck Creek might have seen more trail clearing. Your advice about the snow is valid; I was in the Wallowas a couple of weeks ago and there was plenty of snow from the 7000' level.

Thanks again,

Mr. G.