Three-Corner Rock accessible?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
adamschneider

Three-Corner Rock accessible?

Post by adamschneider » June 28th, 2022, 10:47 pm

I see that the "Three Corner Rock Trail" is closed indefinitely because of logging stuff... But is Rock Creek Pass still OK?

Also, the OH Field Guide says to go up from Bridge of the Gods... why not from Washougal?

ChrisA

Re: Three-Corner Rock accessible?

Post by ChrisA » June 29th, 2022, 6:48 pm

We went there last Friday from Red Rock pass. Went up and back from the Stevenson side.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 1st, 2022, 7:44 am

adamschneider wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 10:47 pm
Also, the OH Field Guide says to go up from Bridge of the Gods... why not from Washougal?
Default FG directions for hikes out of Portland are from downtown (even though only a fraction of users may live there, it's suitably neutral). I just checked in Google Maps, and Bridge of the Gods is the quickest way. Via Washougal, you add 10 minutes (if starting from downtown) but get out of a bridge toll that way.

It should go without saying that there will be varying approaches to any hike within about two hours depending on where you live, if you live in the Metro area.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 1st, 2022, 5:18 pm

I ended up going in through Washougal and out through Cascade Locks. While the Bridge of the Gods route is a little faster, it's also a little longer. (Google told me that the Washougal route was "more fuel-efficient.")

Both routes were fine as far as road quality: decent gravel with a few potholes in the flat parts. Part of the western approach has the Washougal River for scenery, and the eastern has Rock Creek. It really just depends on the location of any other plans you may have that day — and you probably will have other plans because this is not an all-day hike.