Black crater lake

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
christabrews

Black crater lake

Post by christabrews » June 26th, 2022, 1:52 pm

Has anyone bushwhacked to black crater lake? I know it's through a burn area, so I'm wondering how bad the log hopping is from the road.

johnspeth

Re: Black crater lake

Post by johnspeth » July 6th, 2022, 10:05 am

Black Crater Lake is an interesting variation of the famous Black Crater trail. But I've never been to the lake. The lake is at 5300 feet so you might be hopping over snow as well as trees. Would you approach from the east (Rd 1018) or from the west (departing the Black Crater trail)?

If it were me and I had a mountain bike, I'd ride the dirt roads to as close as I could from the west. Using the Google maps satellite view, you can get within a half mile. But I'd be wary of encountering downed trees on the fading roads, the same problem you'd need to deal with on foot.

If you go, please tell us about your trip.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » July 9th, 2022, 6:11 am

I hiked to the top of Black Crater on July 8. I took a side trip to see how close I could come to Black Crater Lake. Lack of time and energy prevented me from getting to the lake. My report doesn't help answer the OP's question.

My preference for getting to the lake would be from the Black Crater trail. The bushwacking departure from the trail is at the first switchback turn about 2 miles in. It's about a 1/4 mile downhill walk east to get to the crater rim. The walk was quite easy - just soft dirt, no logs.

BlackCraterTrack.JPG

When I got to the Black Crater Lake crater rim, I could see that a fast way to the lake would be simply climb down the steep crater wall then another 1/4 mile walk to the lake. Strava heat map shows that most people will hike south along the crater rim for about a mile until a good place to hike into the crater appears approximately southwest of the lake.

20220708_125136.jpg

I acknowledge it looked easier than it probably is but it certainly wasn't littered with hazards. It is just steep with a bootable dirt surface. Of course, hiking out will be some work.

20220708_125546.jpg

Here's what the terrain looks like looking uphill from the rim, very park-like, IMO.

20220708_125159.jpg

I have always been puzzled why the USFS has left this trail as an outlier for properly paid and authenticated visitors. All you need to hike it is a free self issue wilderness permit. Nearly all other trails in the wide vicinity require paid permits. I think the trail gets a lot of traffic after the snow melts.

christabrews

Post by christabrews » July 28th, 2022, 6:32 am

Thanks for all the info! I'll let you know if I ever get out there.