Is Steens Mtn worth a visit early season?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
drm

Is Steens Mtn worth a visit early season?

Post by drm » June 14th, 2022, 9:47 am

I have some time next week midweek and had been considering Steens, but BLM tells me the loop road will definitely not be open. You can drive to the Wildhorse Lake trailhead but suggested the trail may be too muddy. Same for Little Blitzen and Big Indian. I suppose creeks will be running high too.

But getting to a gated road and walking further is not a bad thing for a hiker. For me to have to park and walk a few miles to the top - I could take my snowshoes just in case, might actually be better.

And we all know that ranger warnings about snow and water aren't necessarily aimed at experienced people.

Forecast actually looks decent middle of next week. So is this worth the drive in these conditions?

bobcat

Re: Is Steens Mtn worth a visit early season?

Post by bobcat » June 14th, 2022, 6:39 pm

The road opened as far as Jackman Park Campground (7,800') this past weekend. That's still almost 7 miles from the summit, but of course you could walk up the road any distance you like. Deep snow drifts accumulate on certain sections of the road that take a long time to melt out. They need to allow at least the width of one vehicle to get by (which is when they open the whole loop). The gorge bottom hikes will be fine, of course.

adamschneider

Re: Is Steens Mtn worth a visit early season?

Post by adamschneider » June 14th, 2022, 9:33 pm

I was there last week; the north road was still closed but the south side was open 19 miles, to the Big Indian Overlook. It was beautiful... but it sure looked like they could have opened the road a bit farther. Maybe they don't have any more gates above 7300'?

Big Indian Gorge on 6/10/22:
20220610-132703.jpg

By the way, the main reason I was down there was the Pueblo Mountains, and the timing for a trip there would be PERFECT. The snow has melted, the flowers are blooming, and a few of the streams are still running. (Bring bug spray.)

Pueblo Mountains on 6/9/22:
20220609-104620.jpg