Which trailhead for Swale Canyon?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
six_keys

Which trailhead for Swale Canyon?

Post by six_keys » June 11th, 2022, 7:25 am

I've hiked from Harmes Rd, only went about 6 miles RT. I am looking to do about 8 miles RT and trying to decide Harmes Rd again vs Wahkiacus (before it closes for the season). Is one option more scenic, or just different? From Wahkiacus, how many miles do you have to walk to get away from the homes?

Thanks!

Image from my previous hike from Harmes Rd.
Attachments
_DSC2861-Edit-2.jpg

jdemott

Re: Which trailhead for Swale Canyon?

Post by jdemott » June 11th, 2022, 7:42 am

Here's a link to a report I wrote a few years ago explaining why I greatly prefer the Harms Road hike. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20385&p=152252&hilit=swale#p152252 That post includes a link to my earlier post about why I found the Wahkiacus hike to be kind of creepy.

six_keys

Post by six_keys » June 11th, 2022, 7:20 pm

Thank you! Had a great time from the Harmes Road TH. So much wildlife today! Many marmot, an owl, deer, lizards, and many other birds. Oh, and only 6 humans. And a couple ticks, but they had a short ride. :)

drm

Post by drm » June 12th, 2022, 7:58 am

I would add though that Harms Rd trailhead can be nasty when there is a strong west wind - you are walking straight into it for three miles on an open plain before you enter the real canyon and turn north. And strong west winds are not a rare thing there. That is a good time for the Wahkiacus option. It's a couple miles to get past the houses.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 12th, 2022, 11:51 am

Keep in mind that you can also ride a bike if you want to go farther... although it does diminish the wildlife-watching opportunities because you have to keep your eyes on the rocky trail. (Also, it makes you noisier.)