Favorite area with easyish hikes?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Waffle Stomper

Re: Favorite area with easyish hikes?

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 16th, 2022, 10:09 am

I hear ya. I tore my meniscus and and surgery in 2019 then came COVID. My hiking buddy just had a stroke and most likely won't be hiking again. :'( So I am on the same search, at least for day hikes. Some of these are still under snow. I hike with a dog but usually keep her leashed (she loses her mind at the sight of a squirrel LOL). I know of little beyond Mt. Hood. I'm not to proud to turn around around if needed.

I like the following day hikes:
Salmon River Trail, stop when your knee screams, and the Old Salmon River trail.
McNeil when it's melted out, go as far as the viewpoint and press on farther if you feel like it.
Mount Hood Meadows has lots of new trails. I discovered them last year and there are a couple knee friendly hikes from there.
Eagle Creek of course, but I'm sure you are aware that is super popular.
Not a real day hike, but the Elk Meadows Trail can be fun up to Newton Creek. I don't like log crossings, so sometimes I'll head uphill on the Newton Creek trail to timberline, haven't done that since my knee surgery so it does have some steeps.
I think another day hike might be Lookout Mountain.

For most people on this forum, these might not qualify as hikes, but I do appreciate the occasional flower blooms and viewpoints.

I hope your knee gets back into shape soon.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

BigBear

Post by BigBear » June 26th, 2022, 8:29 am

Easy hikes: I'm thinking most every national park. Sure, there are some long hikes in national parks and some moderate hikes, but there are always A-level hikes and lunch hour strolls available for families with children.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 26th, 2022, 3:17 pm

BigBear wrote:
June 26th, 2022, 8:29 am
Easy hikes: I'm thinking most every national park. Sure, there are some long hikes in national parks and some moderate hikes, but there are always A-level hikes and lunch hour strolls available for families with children.
Except many National Parks and National Monuments are not dog friendly. Check before going.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

BigBear

Post by BigBear » June 26th, 2022, 7:35 pm

Absolutely correct. I missed the dog-friendly part.