Badger Creek

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
marmots & lupine

Badger Creek

Post by marmots & lupine » June 10th, 2022, 9:16 am

Has anyone been into Badger Creek in the last week or so? Ranger Station says trail is "impassable" at 7 miles in....from the #479 Trailhead (near Bonney Crossing Campground).....wondering if that is just some blow down & lingering snow patches, or "no go" impassable. Thanks!

Webfoot

Re: Badger Creek

Post by Webfoot » June 10th, 2022, 3:32 pm

Sorry, I have not.

I was about to post a welcome message but wisely checked your join date; you've been here longer than I have! :lol:

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 10th, 2022, 7:50 pm

"Impassable", eh?

Yeah. We've all had the same problem when talking to a ranger station about trail conditions. There's no way to evaluate what you were told about a trail which the person on the phone may have never laid eyes on in their life. Most likely they were just passing along whatever was written down somewhere, by an unknown person, who knows how long ago, or how they got the information in the first place.

I guess you'll just have to go and look for yourself. Then come back and tell us what you found. :)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 11th, 2022, 5:08 am

The Badger Creek trail is on fairly level terrain, easy to walk around obstacles. Since it's a little drier, there's less undergrowth.

You'll probably be able to get through.

drm

Post by drm » June 11th, 2022, 6:40 am

Well there is a spot just above the Pine Creek camps, which would make it about seven miles, where the trail contours across a steep hillside with the creek straight below. A slide or nasty blowdown there would make it impassable to most of us. But I agree it is more likely a tough spot.

jortina

Post by jortina » June 14th, 2022, 3:25 pm

Also curious about this area…we’d like to take the post camp trail to its intersection with Badger Creek and camp there this weekend but I’m not sure if that elevation will still have snow?

drm

Post by drm » June 14th, 2022, 3:39 pm

The Badger Creek-Post Camp junction is very unlikely to have snow now. But the upper sections of the Post Camp trail just might. That's a north-facing slope.

jortina

Post by jortina » June 15th, 2022, 6:38 am

drm wrote:
June 14th, 2022, 3:39 pm
The Badger Creek-Post Camp junction is very unlikely to have snow now. But the upper sections of the Post Camp trail just might. That's a north-facing slope.
Yeah, definitely most worried about the upper part of the trail, figure things at badger creek will be fine. We are going with kids so our skills and flexibility are somewhat limited, but they are experienced hikers. Anyway we may go to the trailhead and scope it out and then bail and start at badger creek trailhead if it looks dicey.

jortina

Post by jortina » June 20th, 2022, 5:53 am

jortina wrote:
June 15th, 2022, 6:38 am
drm wrote:
June 14th, 2022, 3:39 pm
Yeah, definitely most worried about the upper part of the trail, figure things at badger creek will be fine. We are going with kids so our skills and flexibility are somewhat limited, but they are experienced hikers. Anyway we may go to the trailhead and scope it out and then bail and start at badger creek trailhead if it looks dicey.
Happy to report no snow at all on the post camp trail. A good amount of blow down but nothing we couldn’t navigate around. We didn’t go much farther than where Post Camp intersects with Badger but we did see people hike past us toward the lake and someone coming from the direction of the lake who had camped.