Spring backpacking route with kids

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
wlaw

Spring backpacking route with kids

Post by wlaw » May 21st, 2022, 6:54 am

Hello,
I saw a few previous posts about great backpacking route suggestions with kids, but most recommendations are at higher elevations, so I wanted to see if anyone had any spring / early summer recommendations.

I am heading out on a backpacking trip with two kids next weekend for an overnighter. Both are capable hikers and doing 6 miles and 1400ft in one day. I was thinking of doing Siouxon and camping near Chinook Falls. Any other recommendations? Particularly interested if anyone has any ideas on the dry side of the cascade range.

Thanks much!

cfm

Re: Spring backpacking route with kids

Post by cfm » May 22nd, 2022, 4:42 am

I think the kids would enjoy Macks Canyon. Just go downstream as far as you feel like. There are places to stop and camp along the way. The scenery is spectacular and the hiking is easy( on an old railbed).

Here is a blurb from my trip 2 years ago. The elevation gain on this hike was from side scrambles.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 22nd, 2022, 5:22 am

or https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... anyon_Hike

the first 4 miles is pretty rough at places, not your typical Columbia Gorge trail

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » May 22nd, 2022, 5:26 am

The Salmon River Trail is worth considering: https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... river_hike

Some good suggestions here: https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... ackpacking

wlaw

Post by wlaw » May 22nd, 2022, 5:09 pm

Thank you so much, everyone! This is perfect.

Really enjoy the site, community, and all the information provided.

jortina

Post by jortina » June 5th, 2022, 7:16 am

Did you end up going? We’ve canceled two weekends in a row due to weather. :( I would highly recommend Badger Creek. We’ve done it around Memorial Day several times and it’s a great spot for kids with a lot of established sites within 4 miles of the trailhead.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 5th, 2022, 11:52 am

yeah, Badger Creek, good idea

plus it's a little on the east side of the cascades so a bit drier

drm

Post by drm » June 5th, 2022, 1:01 pm

Badger Creek had a real lot of blowdown when I was there in April. Not sure if they have cleared it yet.

wlaw

Post by wlaw » June 5th, 2022, 4:13 pm

jortina wrote:
June 5th, 2022, 7:16 am
Did you end up going? We’ve canceled two weekends in a row due to weather. :( I would highly recommend Badger Creek. We’ve done it around Memorial Day several times and it’s a great spot for kids with a lot of established sites within 4 miles of the trailhead.
We did. We did Siouxon Creek and it was perfect. We parked at the lower trailhead and hiked to campsites that are near the upper trailhead. In hindsight, I would have parked at the upper trailhead and hiked to some of the sites further up closer to Chinook Falls.

It was wet and soggy, but we had a great time. Packed in enough kindling to get some wet wood going. Kids had a great time.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » June 5th, 2022, 6:09 pm

How did the area look? I was there just before it was badly burned a few years ago, but haven’t been there since to see what survived.