Dog Mountain 2022

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
gallione11

Dog Mountain 2022

Post by gallione11 » April 30th, 2022, 3:57 pm

Anyone been up there recently? Curious of the flower status. We usually go up there the second week of May, but with the late April snow and general coolness, we're thinking it's going to be a later season this year. We have the 9th currently scheduled as we like to go on a weekday so it's not super crowded, but if Hamilton is any indication, it will be slim pickings then. We only saw just the beginnings of blooms today as we got near the top.

adamschneider

Re: Dog Mountain 2022

Post by adamschneider » April 30th, 2022, 4:48 pm

Everything is definitely late this year.

However, I've done Dog Mountain in mid-April and found a lot of cool flowers, just not the same ones you'd get in May. This year, May 9 will be an April-like experience: buttercups, spring-beauty, and kittentails near the summit, Dutchman's breeches in the woods, maybe a little balsamroot halfway up.

gallione11

Re: Dog Mountain 2022

Post by gallione11 » May 9th, 2022, 1:17 pm

As we had already booked the time off, we went ahead and went this morning with low expectations, and I'd say they were essentially met. The First Lookout about 1.5 miles in wasn't too bad, with mostly some Balsamroot and a few Desert Paintbrush.

Once above the tree line on that one fairly long switch back, it was mostly young Balsamroot and a sprinkling of small purple flowers I'm unsure of the name.

The flowers essentially stopped not long after the Puppy View Point -- just a smattering of small non-balsamroot yellow flowers.

The summit was snowed/iced over, as expected after the low snow levels of last night.

I'd say wait at least two, if not three weeks for better results. Looks like I didn't take any pictures between the first lower view point and the summit, but then it was fogged in and as mentioned, not a lot to see either way.
IMG_9098.jpg
Summit around 10:15am. Very windy and cold. We didn't stick around for our usual snack.
IMG_9104.jpg
Lower viewpoint paintbrush
IMG_9105.jpg
Lower viewpoint balsamroot