Low-Elevation Wilderness

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Notim

Low-Elevation Wilderness

Post by Notim » April 16th, 2022, 1:54 pm

Hey there All,
What are your favorite low-elevation backpacking trips within a couple hours of Portland? I am looking to make some early season one/two night trips with my kids, and I was thinking warmer nights and fewer steep climbs would make it more comfortable for them.. Is it possible to get a good wilderness trip in and stay under 2,000 or 3,000 feet?
Thanks for your help!

adamschneider

Re: Low-Elevation Wilderness

Post by adamschneider » April 16th, 2022, 2:50 pm

How early? If you go in the next few weeks, you can see the cactus blooming in Spring Basin Wilderness (1600'-2800').

drm

Post by drm » April 16th, 2022, 3:02 pm

If you want legally designated wilderness, Trapper Creek is one hour from parts of Portland and trailhead is 1200' and you can go a few miles without gaining much. It's in Washington north of Carson.

In the Gorge, Herman Creek and Eagle Creek start off the Columbia River and gain altitude slowly. You could probably go at least seven miles below 2000'. There might be some snow now given recent weather, but at that height, it won't last long. Eagle Creek has exposed cliffs - not good for younger kids.

Other options include the Deschutes River, east of The Dalles, doesn't ever get more than hundreds of feet above sea level. And the Lewis River which starts at the lower end about 1200' and gains altitude very slowly.

Note that some forested trails have had an enormous amount of trees down this year and few have been cleared yet. And some of these places could be really crowded on the weekend if the weather is nice.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » April 17th, 2022, 7:33 am

This list may prove useful: https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... ackpacking

But I'll second drm's comment about downed trees. Trail crews will not have been out on any wilderness trails yet so expect plenty of downfall.