When to visit Wallowas ?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
dhaval257

When to visit Wallowas ?

Post by dhaval257 » April 9th, 2022, 8:06 am

Hi Folks,

Happy Spring!!
We haven’t been to wallowas yet. Would like to visit/hike this year.

What is the good time for wildflowers & decent day hiking options? Somewhere I read mid-June to mid-July is what I should aim for.

Thanks

texasbb

Re: When to visit Wallowas ?

Post by texasbb » April 9th, 2022, 11:37 am

I guess it depends on how high you're hiking. Most of the longer trails will still run into snow in June and early July. So far, this is a lower than normal snow year up there; you can watch the meltout on the Aneroid Lake SNOTEL. Those are prime mosquito months too, but that's flower season for you.

drm

Post by drm » April 10th, 2022, 8:28 am

I tried hiking out of the Two Pan trailhead in mid-June a couple years ago and ran into full snow within a mile or two. I knew I would hit snow in June but had hoped to get to the point where the trail gets into that broad valley - not even close.

I imagine that short trails in fringe of the towns will have good wildflowers in June but I haven't hiked those kinds of trails.

Wildflowers follow the altitude, so up in the high valleys the wildflowers would be peaking in August. The best wildflowers I have seen in the Wallowas are on the West Fork of Eagle Creek, on the south side.

Charley

Post by Charley » April 11th, 2022, 2:26 pm

I've had a number of fun overnight trips and dayhikes in late June in the Wallowas, and I have avoided hiking on snow. I've worked out there for a week every year since 2009 (except for the last two Covid years).

I've been surprised at how much snow free trail I can hike in late June, but of course, it depends on the year. It also depends on the aspect of the trail. I once hiked up to the summit of Chief Joseph in late June, on dirt the entire way, and looked down on thousands of acres of snow-covered slopes to my south. I'm sure that long backpacks through the center of the range would have been difficult, with large snow drifts covering trails, but that's further than most people would ever dayhike.

Chief Joseph Mountain, June 30, 2019:
IMG_5588 2.jpg
IMG_5627.jpg
Thorp Creek Trail, July 1, 2018:
IMG_6833.jpg
IMG_6845.jpg

Have a good time!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

drm

Post by drm » April 12th, 2022, 7:00 am

Yeah, Wallowa commenters here are more focused on backpacks deep into the range, not dayhikes.

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » May 30th, 2022, 3:05 pm

The Wallowa Loop is spectacular. One of the best I've done. However, parts are at high altitude and you can expect snow (on average) until mid-July.

Because it's so nice, it's also been "loved to death." There have been so many hikers that access is now (or it was last year) by "permit only." Of course, due to funding restrictions for the US Forest Service, camping limits are probably unenforceable. It's one of the few places I've been in recent years where finding a camp site has been difficult and privacy was a serious concern. So, you'll need to file for a permit if you want to play by the rules.

The trail and camp sites are accessible from many points which is both convenient and it accounts for the hordes of day hikers and campers on what might otherwise be considered "remote" spots from the main trailhead near Joseph.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 31st, 2022, 7:21 am

Forget about June for getting up high. Keep track of snow conditions in July - south-facing open slopes melt off early. July is a good month for the southern approaches as it gets hot there. Of course, you're doing a dance with fire smoke these days, so earlier gives you a better chance of smoke-free skies.

The Lakes Basin is the most popular destination, but the "restrictions" there are the same as everywhere - Northwest Forest Pass, self-issued wilderness permit at trailhead, camp at an established campsite at least 200 feet from water. I'm not aware of any special permits needed. If you have to go there, go during the week and consider basing yourself up the East Lostine to do day hikes to the lakes, Eagle Cap, Glacier Lake, etc.

Otherwise, there are many, many other fine less crowded destinations in the Wallowas. You will never run out of options! (e.g. Last year, in August, I camped mid-week for three nights as the only resident in the Main Eagle Meadow and did day hikes from there; everyone flocks to the lakes, so a lakeless campsite will often be serenely unpopulated.)

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » May 31st, 2022, 1:29 pm

Bobcat is correct. I read that restricted entry and permits were under consideration a year or so ago due to over-use but that does not seem to be the case right now.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 31st, 2022, 2:37 pm

that guy transferred to Deschutes

(just kidding, but that occurred to me, as a joke that is)

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » June 2nd, 2022, 3:29 pm

If you're going to the Wallowas, i recommend staying as long as possible as a backpacking trip. The fringes of the area are so-so, but views get increasingly better as you make your way into the interior. I'm not sure i've seen much that i could do as a single day hike that would warrant the drive.

September after kids go back to school is great time to see any part of it, even the popular parts. Less flowers, but also less people. If you insist on flowers, late July / early August.

There will be interesting things to see any season you go.