Aldrich Butte/Table Mountain access update?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Don Nelsen

Re: Aldrich Butte/Table Mountain access update?

Post by Don Nelsen » August 25th, 2023, 12:43 pm

dmthomas49 wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 10:04 am
Has anyone done this hike and parked at this area marked to park? Any issues with locals?
Hikers are now locked out of both the old popular TH's. I checked yesterday (082423) and a new gate has been installed a few hundred feet west of the entrance to the former Bonneville resort. This location is well short of where Mr. Cam's property line is so it may be an illegal placement. However, even if it were moved to his property line, it would still prevent hikers from reaching the old TH's.

Gate on Cascade Dr.

I took a look at this out of curiosity though I intended and did park along Evergreen Drive at Hamilton Creek Road for my hike.

Here is a map of yesterday's hike: (in White, overlain over my master map of all the trails in the area.) The new gate is indicated in the lower right corner.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » August 25th, 2023, 1:03 pm

Thanks for the update. We could always use the old route, drive up to the back of ridge and walk the short distance to the top.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » August 25th, 2023, 1:35 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
August 25th, 2023, 12:43 pm
Hikers are now locked out of both the old popular TH's. I checked yesterday (082423) and a new gate has been installed a few hundred feet west of the entrance to the former Bonneville resort. This location is well short of where Mr. Cam's property line is so it may be an illegal placement. However, even if it were moved to his property line, it would still prevent hikers from reaching the old TH's.
:shock:

Regardless of his property lines on the surrounding terrain, isn't that a public road??
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 25th, 2023, 2:08 pm

Maybe. I'll check with the county and see what they say. I had always thought so, but the property lines seem to tell a different story.
Last edited by Don Nelsen on August 25th, 2023, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 25th, 2023, 2:21 pm

Cam doesn't seem to be such a good guy.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... arassment/

There's plenty more, but you get the idea.

dn

lordgares

Post by lordgares » August 25th, 2023, 2:31 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
August 25th, 2023, 2:21 pm
Cam doesn't seem to be such a good guy.
Yikes :shock:
“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”
― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 25th, 2023, 3:04 pm

For those playing along at home, here are the parcels owned by the charming Pirfil Cam, outlined in red:
Pirfil Cam.jpg
The yellow line is Cascade Drive/Shelly Lane. Whomever put up the gate must have had the encouragement, or at least assent, of the seven other landowners along that road, because there's no other access.

Source: https://skamaniawa-mapsifter.publicaccessnow.com/ — if you zoom in on the area, you can see that the road appears to go through a public right-of-way for about 1/3 of a mile past the former resort, but then it enters Cam's property.
property lines.jpg

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 26th, 2023, 4:18 pm

dmthomas49 wrote:
August 25th, 2023, 1:03 pm
Thanks for the update. We could always use the old route, drive up to the back of ridge and walk the short distance to the top.
I keep thinking that, but wondered if it was a secret we're not supposed to discuss.
I'm mostly kidding; it's right there in the open.
Horrible drive though.