Aldrich Butte/Table Mountain access update?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
adamschneider

Aldrich Butte/Table Mountain access update?

Post by adamschneider » November 21st, 2021, 12:03 am

Does anyone know if there's been any progress on the Table Mountain access debacle? I just noticed that the Strava heatmap shows that a lot of people are going up toward Aldrich Butte from under the powerlines, and they're apparently getting there via Cascade Drive and Shelly Lane, which crosses private land. Of course, I don't know where these people are parking; is it forbidden to drive those roads, but OK to walk or bike them?

Aldrich Butte - Strava heatmap.jpg

dmthomas49

Re: Aldrich Butte/Table Mountain access update?

Post by dmthomas49 » November 21st, 2021, 7:30 am

I would like to know the same. I have been driving and exploring this area for sometime, looking for a closer starting point.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 21st, 2021, 5:50 pm

Again quoting an earlier forum thread on the situation:
Don Nelson wrote:
klossner wrote:
kepPNW wrote: I'm sure there's precedent for some sort of squatter's-right to keep on using pathways that have "always" been allowed before.
Yes, it's called "implied easement". In Washington State, RCW 36.75.080 says that when a road (outside a city) is used by the public for ten years, it becomes a county road. I first passed over that road in 2004.
Nice! Thanks for the info. I've been using that road for years also - since 1985. If that's not precedent, I don't know what is.

dn
Are there any gates on the road?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » November 21st, 2021, 6:06 pm

No gates that I've ever seen. Guess it's been a couple years since I've been up there though.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 21st, 2021, 7:52 pm

klossner wrote: Yes, it's called "implied easement". In Washington State, RCW 36.75.080 says that when a road (outside a city) is used by the public for ten years, it becomes a county road. I first passed over that road in 2004.
Well, this road is NOT outside a city; the North Bonneville city limits are near the power lines.

aaburles

Post by aaburles » November 22nd, 2021, 10:29 am

I've started from the pullout on Cascade Dr about an 1/8 mile from the private road sign a few times over the last couple of years. Then walked past the sign and up the road towards carpenter lake and Aldrich Butte. From what I remember the sign is more directed at vehicle use and not a pedestrian. I could be completely wrong.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5884534385
Capture11.PNG

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 22nd, 2021, 11:07 am

aaburles wrote:
November 22nd, 2021, 10:29 am
I've started from the pullout on Cascade Dr about an 1/8 mile from the private road sign a few times over the last couple of years.
Which road is the "Private Road" sign on? Shelly Lane (which bends southwest), or the track that goes northwest into the power line cut?

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 22nd, 2021, 11:26 am

adamschneider wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 7:52 pm
Well, this road is NOT outside a city; the North Bonneville city limits are near the power lines.
Crap. :(

aaburles

Post by aaburles » November 22nd, 2021, 11:56 am

Which road is the "Private Road" sign on? Shelly Lane (which bends southwest), or the track that goes northwest into the power line cut?
The sign is on Shelly Lane before the split with the powerline road. Shown below in the pic.
Attachments
Capture11.PNG

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » August 16th, 2023, 10:04 am

Has anyone done this hike and parked at this area marked to park? Any issues with locals?
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir