Tumalo Mt versus Misery Ridge/Smith Rock

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Evergreen87

Tumalo Mt versus Misery Ridge/Smith Rock

Post by Evergreen87 » November 5th, 2021, 2:23 pm

Hello! I'm excited to get advice on choosing a day hike while I am near Bend, OR this Sunday. I'm comparing these two hikes:

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/oreg ... o-mountain
(I couldn't find this one on OH)

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... _Loop_Hike

Both seem like very appealing day hikes to me, a views-deprived East Coaster. The weather will be much better for Misery Ridge/Smith Rock, but I'm willing to hike in cold and precip if the views are worthwhile at Tumalo in comparison. I would love to hear what you would tell someone who only has one day in the area to choose! Thanks folks!

gallione11

Re: Tumalo Mt versus Misery Ridge/Smith Rock

Post by gallione11 » November 5th, 2021, 2:52 pm

Really depends on what you want out of your views. Looks like the weather should be mostly clear in both places so you should get a good vista regardless. Misery Ridge you'll get to see 5-6 peaks in the distance and a lot of mostly flat ground around it. Tumalo will have more hills, "only" 3-4 peaks but you'll feel like you're right on top of them.

I would probably prefer Tumalo, but keep in mind, you'll most likely have to deal with some snow on the ground at this of year. The Bachelor webcam pointing at Tumalo currently seems to be down, but if there's snow in the West Village, there will definitely be snow on the way. According to this site https://adamschneider.net/hiking/snow_depth.html, looks like at least 4ish inches on most of the trail currently.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 5th, 2021, 5:57 pm

Yes, Tumalo will have snow.

If you decide on Smith Rock, I'd suggest this loop (which includes Misery Ridge):

You'll end up higher, go past many of the climbing areas, and get stupendous views from the top of Burma Road (if the skies are clear).

If the weather is good on Sunday, get to the parking lots early. They fill up fast on weekends!

gallione11

Post by gallione11 » November 5th, 2021, 6:25 pm

bobcat wrote:
November 5th, 2021, 5:57 pm
Yes, Tumalo will have snow.

If you decide on Smith Rock, I'd suggest this loop (which includes Misery Ridge):

You'll end up higher, go past many of the climbing areas, and get stupendous views from the top of Burma Road (if the skies are clear).

If the weather is good on Sunday, get to the parking lots early. They fill up fast on weekends!
If you do end up choosing this, I'd recommend doing the loop in reverse. It gets the more unexciting part of the hike out of the way first. The views are great from Burma road, but... it's a road so it's not all that exciting. Also, when it comes to the up and down Misery Ridge, the back side (which you'd be going up) is rather steep, but it's flat ground if that makes sense. The front side is a lot of rock steps which I find easier to go down. I've seen so many people slip going down on the back side.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 5th, 2021, 8:59 pm

In November? Smith Rock, hands down.

Evergreen87

Post by Evergreen87 » November 6th, 2021, 7:36 am

Thanks all! Going to go with Smith Rock and just have to come back for Tumalo another time :D

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » November 6th, 2021, 10:33 am

Smith Rock with the amazing, colors of the rocks. One of my favorite places in the Pacific NW. I agree about do the loop clockwise. Always seems surprising how short the trail is on top, after walking so far around the backside.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

Evergreen87

Post by Evergreen87 » November 9th, 2021, 10:01 am

Had a great day at Smith Rock. Appreciate the advice to take it clockwise - going downhill from Misery Ridge in the counterclockwise way looked much harder than clockwise, which has the steps down.

Charley

Post by Charley » November 9th, 2021, 10:41 pm

Evergreen87 wrote:
November 9th, 2021, 10:01 am
Had a great day at Smith Rock. Appreciate the advice to take it clockwise - going downhill from Misery Ridge in the counterclockwise way looked much harder than clockwise, which has the steps down.
Smith Rock has got to be one of the very best fall/winter destinations in the Northwest! Glad you had a good time.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.