Green lakes post-permit system

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
christabrews

Green lakes post-permit system

Post by christabrews » August 22nd, 2021, 7:19 am

How are the crowds at green lakes with the permit system? I have an upcoming trip and will try to camp there on my last night. Luckily it's a weeknight. Think I'll struggle to find an unoccupied campsite?

retired jerry

Re: Green lakes post-permit system

Post by retired jerry » August 22nd, 2021, 10:01 am

I don't know, but

there are better places to camp off the trail to Broken Top from Green Lake

or, get water from inflow stream to the main Green Lake, then go up to the pass above Green Lakes. Many good spots as you go along, or at the pass.

gorgehiker

Post by gorgehiker » August 22nd, 2021, 5:14 pm

I was at the Green Lakes Trailhead last Thursday and there were few cars parked about 11 in the morning. Both day-hikers and backpackers have to fight for the same limited number of permits and permits were gone in minutes.
I was able to hike on the Sisters Mirror trail and there were very few backpackers. In summary, I suspect you will be able to find a camp near Green Lakes

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 22nd, 2021, 6:45 pm

It's hard to say how many backpackers intending to camp at Green Lakes acquired permits for trailheads more distant than the Green Lakes TH, including but not limited to, backpackers doing the full circuit of the Three Sisters. But it should be easier under the new permit system to find a site than it has been in recent years without the new permit system in place. And as Jerry pointed out, there are other sites nearby, so you should be able to make a camp and be OK regardless.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 23rd, 2021, 5:38 am

permits for all trailheads anywhere close to Green Lakes are similarly limited so there should now be multiple, open, designated sites at Green Lakes even holiday weekends late in the day.

that might seem like a good thing. You can get a permit but you have to be at the website right at 7 AM.

I keep thinking of the crowds of people I've seen in earlier years. Where are all those people going to go?

It's a shame more people don't get to experience this.

In my opinion

jdemott

Post by jdemott » August 23rd, 2021, 8:01 am

retired jerry wrote:
August 23rd, 2021, 5:38 am

I keep thinking of the crowds of people I've seen in earlier years. Where are all those people going to go?

It's a shame more people don't get to experience this.
Oregon is a big state with lots of beautiful places, so maybe this will encourage people to explore some of the less visited spots around the state. And everyone will still have a chance to experience Green Lakes (with fewer crowds!), but less often.

Sugar Pine

Post by Sugar Pine » August 23rd, 2021, 8:35 am

We hiked the Broken Top loop at the beginning of August and passed through Green Lakes on a weekday at about 10 am. Less than half the camp sites appeared to be occupied.

christabrews

Post by christabrews » August 23rd, 2021, 10:49 am

Thanks for all the insights everyone! I feel better about the prospects of finding a place to camp.